This spin on a takeout favourite uses baked chicken meatballs in place of fried chicken balls. Enjoy the delicious flavour of your favourite sweet and sour dish without all the oil and added calories!
Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
- For the chicken meatballs
1 lb ground chicken
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For the sweet and sour sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of mixture into your hands and form into a ball.
- Arrange meatballs on baking sheet and bake for 20-23 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile add pineapple juice, honey, rice vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce to a saucepan and bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water to create a slurry. Add to the saucepan and mix in. When sauce thickens, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Toss the chicken meatballs in the sauce or alternatively, you can drizzle the sauce on top. Serve with rice.
- If you’d like the sauce to have the bright red colour you see at takeout restaurants, you can add a couple drops of red food colouring in the saucepan (at the same time that you add the slurry).