Hello and welcome to my blog – Herbs & Flour! My name is Cathy and I created this blog in 2019 as a way to document my recipes as well as share those recipes with the world. At the time, I was feeling disheartened after developing food sensitivities and a diagnosis of IBS. With the encouragement of my husband, Peter, I started publishing my recipes as a way of documenting all of the wonderful dishes that I was still able to enjoy despite all those food sensitivities.

Sharing recipes on Herbs & Flour opened my eyes to all of the wonderful dishes that I could create from scratch in my own kitchen. It helped me find joy in the kitchen again. I didn’t know then just how much those dishes would be loved and recreated in kitchens around the world! Nor did I ever expect to be featured by other food loving communities like Food52, the Feedfeed, and Food Bloggers of Canada.

It makes me so happy to be able to connect with so many people through food. Even if it may only be through the internet, it gives me great joy to host you all in my kitchen. I feel so blessed to do so.

Always in the kitchen

I should let you know that I am, and have always been, more than a little food obsessed! I love to eat but I especially love being the one cooking in the kitchen! My goal for this blog is to share simple, wholesome recipes that are approachable and easily replicated in your kitchen. I try to cook from scratch as much as I can. Healthy meals are my goal- 80% of the time! The other 20% is where I get to indulge a bit! Life is about balance and that is definitely reflected in the food I share with the world!

Cooking has been something I have been drawn to since I was a little girl. When I was barely tall enough to see over the counter, I would love to watch my mom create our meals. I wanted to help her in the kitchen every chance I got. I was always in awe of her ability to whip up meals without so much as a glance at a recipe. It still amazes me that she can bake up cookies without measuring the flour! I don’t know that I will ever reach her level, but I like to think that I have inherited some of her skills in the kitchen!

A Greek Girl in a Multicultural City

I grew up in a Greek home and you will definitely see dishes inspired by my Mediterranean roots on this site. Many of the traditional Greek recipes on this blog are inspired by the food my mom cooks in her own kitchen and which I have continued to create in my own. From time to time, I also share recipes inspired by my extended Greek family including my aunts and mother in law who all cook at a level I aspire to.

While my background is Greek, I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. Toronto is a city that embraces cultures from all over the world. My whole life I have had the fortune of experiencing cuisines from many countries through the diverse people and restaurants in this gorgeous city! Browsing my site, you will see diverse dishes inspired by those flavours! There is a little bit of everything on this blog because that is exactly what I cook in my kitchen!

Fun Facts About Me

  • I started this blog without knowing a thing about photography (or even owning a proper camera)! There are still some embarrassing early photos on this site to prove this.
  • I cook mostly for my husband, Peter, and me.
  • I recently became a mom to a beautiful little girl. Though she is too little to help create our meals with me, I look forward to those days.
  • Travelling is something I love to do! Most of my travels have been in Europe and North America but I am itching to travel to so many more places!
  • I am incredibly shy and introverted. I tend to hide behind the camera and rarely get in front of one!
  • I love to have a huge garden but actually don’t like tending to it, though I do. You can’t beat having fresh, organic food on hand.

Cooking is about having fun and there are so many dishes to keep mealtimes fresh and interesting! I aim to have a regular supply of new recipes on Herbs & Flour to share with you. I hope that you get as much joy out of making the dishes you find here as I do!

With lots of love,