I have never been a huge fan of celery but have no problem enjoying it in a creamy soup! I remember the first time I was introduced to Cream of Celery Soup and how hesitant I was to eat it. I’ve always incorporated celery into the other soups I make. But to have it be the star in that soup? With no other veggies to help it out or mask it? It sounded so off-putting to me. It really didn’t sound appealing at all. Until I tried it, that is. It was surprisingly tasty and the creamy, velvety consistency of the soup made it so darn good.
My first experience with Cream of Celery soup came from a restaurant. It was delicious – it obviously turned this celery-hater into a celery soup eater! But it was definitely heavy on butter and cream. Everything tastes better with butter and cream!
In our house, we sometimes like to indulge ourselves and enjoy food. We eat butter (or rather, we eat things made with butter) and all the fun delicious treats the world has to offer! But we do it from time to time and are careful not to overdo it. As often as we can, we look for healthier ways to make our favourite meals and incorporate as many healthy ingredients as we can into them. Food is fuel for our bodies and we try to make a conscience effort to eat well most of the time.
The recipe for Cream of Celery Soup I am sharing with you today is dairy-free. Even without dairy it still manages to have all the creaminess you desire from a cream soup. Potatoes take the place of cream and give the soup the smooth texture I love. While there is nothing wrong with enjoying cream in your meals, we tend to look for other healthier substitutions where we can. This is one of those substitutions that adds extra nutrients to this meal and reduces the fat content significantly. That’s something that makes us happy here. Subbing potatoes in for cream also makes this meal suitable for vegans too.
Cream of Celery Soup is pretty easy to make and the fact that it is so good for you makes it a no-brainer. This soup makes its way to our dinner table from time to time and is a great way to use up that bunch of celery you have sitting in the fridge! Paired with a nice grilled cheese sandwich, it is a great healthy lunch or dinner.
Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 medium yellow potatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the celery, potatoes, stock, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high to bring to a boil then lower to medium-low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the celery and potatoes are soft. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly before blending. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a blender or food processor using a slotted spoon. Add about 1 1/4 cups of broth, reserving the rest in case more is needed. Blend the soup in a blender or food processor in batches. If no more liquid is needed to reach the desired consistency, discard. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Heat over medium heat and taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley or a drizzle of Greek yogurt (if not vegan).