This Simple Beef Stroganoff uses leftover roast beef or pot roast to make a super simple meal that is flavourful and incredibly easy! It is made from scratch (no canned soup here!) with ingredients you probably have on hand already! Serve with a side salad and you have a simple, easy, and healthy meal on the table in less than half an hour! Beef Stroganoff is one of those comforting meals that is sure to satisfy the whole family, without breaking your back.
Whenever we have leftover beef from our last roast, this recipe is one of our favourite go-to’s! I am not a huge fan of leftover roast beef and so finding a way to repurpose it and transform it into something delicious again is essential in avoiding food waste! The alternative is eating an unsatisfying meal which is unacceptable in my books! Life is too short for bad food!
Many of the recipes for Beef Stroganoff use up canned soups to help make the sauce. You won’t find that here. Making the sauce from scratch is so easy and quick, there really isn’t any need to do that.
The recipe for Simple Beef Stroganoff below is one I have been using for well over a decade now! I can no longer eat mushrooms (boo food sensitivities- I miss them so much!!) However,I make this recipe, omitting them. My original recipe below includes them because mushrooms are generally a must in stroganoff and you shouldn’t suffer their loss just because I have to now! I seriously hope I can start to reintroduce them to my diet again soon!
Hope you give this simple, made from scratch recipe a try and love it as much as we do! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
Baked Swedish Meatballs with Gravy
Simple Beef Stroganoff
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups leftover roast beef or pot roast, sliced (or 1 beef steak, sliced and cooked)
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add the egg noodles. Cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet and the onions and mushroom. Cook until soft and then sprinkle them with flour.
- Add the beef broth and whisk until it thickens. Add the sour cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the cooked beef and heat through. Serve over the egg noodles. Sprinkle with parsley.