Make crispy, perfectly seasoned Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp at home using only 6 ingredients! This easy recipe will have you serving up a delicious dish that is sure to please the family!
If you know me, you know how much I love seafood. You also probably know how much I love air fryer cooking. So naturally, I have combined the two to make these delicious Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp!
If you haven’t tried making your own breaded shrimp this way, you need to get on that! The air fryer makes them so wonderfully crispy on the outside while maintaining juicy, succulent shrimp on the inside. You get a wonderful crunchy texture that is perfectly seasoned and does not disappoint. Oh, and no grease!
This recipe is super easy to do and uses ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen. I use frozen (thawed) shrimp for this, so it makes for a great option on those days you just can’t motivate yourself to go to the grocery store! Gotta love a recipe that you can put together without racing out to the market!
This recipe is also quick, making it perfect for weeknight dinners on busy nights! I cook my shrimp in 2 batches since my air fryer isn’t big enough to do it all in one batch and it still gets dinner on the table in under 30 minutes!
What ingredients do you need to make breaded shrimp?
6 ingredients is all that you need to make breaded shrimp in your air fryer (or using any cooking method, really)! The best part? You likely have what you need on hand already!
- old bay seasoning
- bread crumbs
- panko bread crumbs
- large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Substitutions for ingredients in breaded shrimp
- Bread crumbs/panko bread crumbs: Don’t have both types of bread crumbs on hand? No problem! I like the combo of both because the fine bread crumbs provide an even coating that completely covers the shrimp while the panko bread crumbs add more crunch, but in a pinch you can use just plain bread crumbs or just panko bread crumbs.
- Old bay seasoning: You can swap in any of your favourite seasonings for shrimp. Lemon pepper, paprika, herbs, etc.
- Shrimp: While you can’t make breaded shrimp without shrimp (of course!), you can absolutely use this recipe and method with other seafood like large scallops or clams and make yourself a “fried” seafood feast! You will likely need to adjust the cooking times though.
How to make Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp
This recipe is incredibly simple to make in just a few easy steps! First you will need to preheat your air fryer and then follow these simple steps below:
- Prepare the breading: Prepare 3 separate bowls. In one bowl, mix the flour and 1 teaspoon of old bay seasoning. Then, in a second bowl, mix the bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs and the remaining old bay seasoning. In the last bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Coat the shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry. Then toss them in the flour mixture. Remove them from the flour mixture and dip them in the egg and then into the bread crumbs.
- Air Fry: Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You will likely have to cook these in 2 or more batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat with the remaining batch.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
You may also like these other shrimp recipes:
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning divided
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Preheat the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare 3 separate bowls. In one bowl, mix the flour and 1 teaspoon of old bay seasoning. In a second bowl, mix the bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs and the remaining old bay seasoning. In the last bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Pat the shrimp dry. Then toss them in the flour mixture. Remove them from the flour mixture and dip them in the egg and then into the bread crumbs.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You will likely have to cook these in 2 or more batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat with the remaining batch.