This easy baked coconut rice recipe is simple and delicious. No need to babysit a pot of rice, just bake it for perfect rice every time!
Anyone who knows me knows I hate coconut. I don’t like the smell of it and I detest the texture of shredded coconut. But coconut milk is the exception for me. I love the flavour and curries, drinks, and even desserts made with coconut milk are among my favourite things to have! Weird, right?
Coconut rice is up there with my favourites! It’s deliciously creamy and makes a lovely side dish! Perfect with thai curries, barbecued meats, fish and pretty much anything, really!
I used to make coconut rice over the stove which required babysitting to make sure there was enough liquid in the pot. It sometimes came out beautifully, and other times was too mushy for my liking.
For years, I have been baking my regular rice in the oven and so I decided I would give coconut rice a try too and see if it worked out. I am happy to report that it does, and that I will be making it this way from here on out!
Zero babysitting required. I just set it everything in a baking dish, cover it with foil and let the oven do the work. When its done, the coconut cream will have settled on the top of the rice, but a quick fluff with a fork and it is well blended and perfect! No mushy rice here! Just perfect coconut rice!
Why you should be baking your rice
Baked rice is not the typical cooking method for rice. Most people I know cook it stove top and while this may work for many, I personally have always found this method hit and miss. Baking for me is the most consistent method and has the best results for a number of reasons.
- Perfect, consistent results every single time.
- It is hands off. Set the timer and let the oven do the work while you are free to do other things.
- The rice comes out fluffy – no mushiness here.
How to prevent mushy rice
There is nothing worse than mushy rice, in my opinion. That is why I love this baked method. It produces perfect rice that isn’t mushy. There are a few basic things you need to do to ensure the best results:
- well-rinsed rice: First and foremost, before you even begin cooking rice, its important to rinse the rice well and remove all the excess starch form it. I place the rice a sieve and run it under water until the water runs clear. When the water is clear, you know you have moved all the excess starches. This is step 1 in preventing that dreaded mushiness.
- the correct amount of cooking liquid: Next, you need to cook the rice in the correct amount of liquid. The liquid measurements in the recipe card work perfectly for long grain rice, such as basmati or jasmine rice. It will work with most white rice varieties. Don’t add more and stick to the cooking times for best results
- let it rest after baking and then fluffing it with a fork: Finally, once the rice bakes, let it stand, covered for a few minutes. Then, fluff it with a fork and you are done!
Together, these result in fluffy rice without any mush!
What ingredients do you need to make coconut rice?
To make coconut rice, you will need:
- long grain rice, rinsed (basmati, jasmine, or similar)
- canned coconut milk
- olive oil
How to make Baked Coconut Rice
Baking rice really couldn’t be simpler than the few steps required for this recipe! Essentially, it comes down to these simple steps:
- Boil the coconut milk and water: Boil the coconut milk and water and pour it into your baking dish. It’s important that the milk and water are hot or the dish won’t turn out.
- Mix all of the ingredients together: To the baking dish, add the the rice, oil and salt and stir to combine everything.
- Cover it with foil and bake: Cover the baking dish tightly with foil to prevent steam from escaping and bake it in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork: Remove the rice from oven and let it rest with the foil still on for 5 minutes. Once the foil is removed, fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Season with as much salt as needed.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
Baked Coconut Rice
- 1 1/4 cup long grain rice (basmati, jasmin or similar) rinsed until water runs clear
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Boil the coconut milk and water and pour it into your baking dish.
- Add the rice, oil and salt to the baking dish and stir to combine everything.
- Cover the baking dish with foil tightly to prevent steam from escaping and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest with the foil on for 5 minutes. Remove the foil and fluff the rice with a fork before serving. (The coconut cream will settled on the top of the rice when it bakes but it will blend in when you fluff the rice with a fork). Season with as much salt as needed.