These oven baked Jalapeno Poppers are stuffed with a delicious bacon and cheese filling and topped with crispy seasoned panko bread crumbs. These delicious poppers make the best appetizer or snack!
Of all the appetizers at parties and game day events, jalapeno poppers have always been among my absolute favourites. They have it all. Cheesy flavour, bacon, and a crispy coating. All this packed into a bite sized treat that has just the right amount of kick from the jalapenos. It’s perfection.
Making these poppers at home is easier than you think and does not require deep frying. These oven baked jalapeno poppers still deliver on the flavour you love without all the grease.
I love every popper I have ever tried, but these ones have to be my favourite. Not only are they easy to eat but they are so easy to make too.
Are baked jalapeno poppers spicy?
I have never been one for spicy dishes and while these poppers have some heat, they aren’t overly spicy, in my opinion. Jalapenos themselves are pretty spicy but the way they are prepared to make poppers lessens some of the heat.
- Since the peppers are stuffed with a creamy, cheesy filling, it actually helps to mellow out the heat.
- So does the fact that they are cooked until they are tender. Cooked jalapenos are more mild than raw ones.
- Finally, the seeds and membrane in jalapenos contain quite a bit of heat from the capsaicin they contain so when you remove those, it does reduce the heat.
All in all, you still end up with spice but, for me, its much more manageable.
If I can handle this heat (and trust me, I can’t handle too much), I am sure you can too. But if you are worried about the spice level, you can use sweet mini peppers instead of jalapenos. They make a good substitute because of their size and they aren’t spicy at all!
What you need to make baked jalapeno poppers
- cream cheese, softened
- shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon, finely chopped
- chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- panko bread crumbs
- melted butter
How to make Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Start by prepping the jalapenos. Using food grade gloves, slice them in half and remove the seeds and ribs from the peppers. Then place them on a lined baking sheet with the cut sides up.
2. Mix up the filling. In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese , bacon, chives, salt and pepper.
3. Stuff the jalapenos. Scoop the cheese filling into the cavities of each jalapeno pepper.
4. Prepare the panko topping. In a bowl, mix the panko bread crumbs, paprika and melted butter.
5. Top the jalapenos. Sprinkle the panko on top of each jalapeno pepper.
6. Bake and serve. Bake the jalapenos in a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes. Once baked, sprinkle with some bacon and chives and serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Other game day snacks:
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- 15 jalapenos
- 8 oz cream cheese (250g or 1 brick), softened
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 slices bacon fully cooked and finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using food grade gloves, slice the jalapenos in half and using your finger or a butter knife, scoop out the seeds and ribs. Place the jalapenos on the baking tray with the cut side facing up.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, 5 strips of chopped bacon, 1 tablespoon chives, and salt and pepper.
- Scoop the mixture into the jalapenos to fill the cavities.
- In a bowl, mix the panko bread crumbs, paprika, melted butter, and salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the panko topping on top of each jalapeno. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the reserved chives and bacon and serve.