This Creamy Potato Leek Soup recipe is easy to make with simple, wholesome ingredients. Perfect for a vegetarian meal, this velvety smooth soup will warm you up like a hug from the inside.
I have always been a fan of creamy soup recipes. There is something about the warm, smooth and velvety texture that is instantly soothing and cozy. Nothing beats warming up to a bowl of pureed soup on a cold day and this Creamy Potato Leek Soup is one of my favorites!
This recipe for Creamy Potato Leek Soup is easily a favorite of mine. Surprisingly, my husband is a fan of this soup too. I say surprisingly because he isn’t a fan of leeks…or anything in the onion family. But despite their prominent role in this soup, he actually likes it!
He’s even declared that we should have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I mean, if that isn’t the ultimate compliment, I don’t know what is!
So if you are on the fence about trying this soup…even with a hesitant leek-averse family member eyeing you suspiciously as you begin to chop up those leeks, I highly recommend you go for it! I think you’ll like the results and they will to!
Believe me when I tell you this potato soup with leeks is good. Real good!
Simple steps to making a delicious Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Not only is this potato soup with leeks ultra smooth and oh-so comforting. It is also super easy to make with ingredients that are easy to find. Nothing fancy here. No fancy techniques or complicated steps. Just a simple soup to warm you up like a hug from the inside.
I add some flavour through herbs (of course- with a name like Herbs & Flour, you can bet herbs make their way into many of my dishes) but it otherwise includes exactly what you would assume a potato leek soup recipe would have in it. Leeks, potatoes, broth and seasoning. Oh and cream of course except that instead of cream, I usually use milk to reduce the fat content a bit.
So how do you make creamy potato leek soup? It really comes down to a few simple steps.
- Sauté the leeks. Sauté the leeks in some butter to get them nice and soft. Add the herbs and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the potatoes and broth and simmer. Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to simmer until the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Cool and puree. Let the soup cool and then puree it. I use a food processor but you could also use an immersion blender.
- Stir in the milk or cream. Stir in the milk or cream and heat the soup back up. Sprinkle it with fresh herbs before serving and enjoy!
That is it folks! Nothing complicated but the end result is so yummy!
How do I make my potato soup thicker?
While this potato soup with leeks recipe usually gives me a thick soup, sometimes you end up with a texture that is too watery or maybe even to thick.
How do you fix watery potato soup? If your soup is too watery, you can thicken it with some cornstarch. Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a bit of cold water or milk to make a slurry. Then stir it into the soup and simmer while stirring until the soup thickens.
Soup that is too thick can be thinned out by adding in more broth, water or milk to reach the desired consistency.
Vegan potato leek soup
This soup can easily be made gluten free. To do this, simply replace the butter with olive oil and be sure to use a dairy-free milk in place of the cream. Canned coconut milk is my favorite replacement.
If you are making this soup vegan, you will need to use a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, of course.
This soup is also naturally gluten-free which makes it a go-to option for serving to friends and family with an intolerance.
Can you freeze potato leek soup?
Yes, you can freeze potato leek soup. To do this, allow the soup to cool to room temperature. Then place the soup in a freezer safe container and freeze it. To reheat, thaw the soup in the fridge overnight or for several hours before you plan to consume it. Then transfer it into a pot and heat it on the stove.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!
You may also like:
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Creamy Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large leeks white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow potatoes (about 3 large sized potatoes) peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces or smaller
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk or cream
- chives or green onion sliced, to garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large soup pot and then add the leeks. Sauté the leeks until softened, about 8 minutes, being sure to stir frequently.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and stir for 1 more minute. Then add the potatoes, broth, bay leaf and thyme.
- Increase the temperature to high and bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the potatoes are soft and tender. Remove from heat and remove the thyme sprig and bay leaves.
- Allow the soup to cool so that it is safe to blend and then add the soup to a food processor or use an immersion blender to puree it until smooth.
- Return to the pot and add the milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat. Garnish with fresh chives or green onion and serve.