Make the best Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup to warm you up on a cold day without breaking a sweat. This easy recipe is loaded with delicious baked potato flavour but made without heavy cream for a lighter soup!
There is nothing better than coming home to a comforting bowl of soup on a cold day! With these chilly temps, we are making all the comforting soups we love.
If you love soups, you are going to love this slow cooker baked potato soup. You may also want to check out some other favourites like my Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup, and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!
This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup has all the flavours of a baked potato and is super easy to make! It’s nourishing, filling and and oh so cozy!
The best part? It only requires 10 minutes of prep time!
It really is just a dump it and let it do its thing kind of recipe! The only hands-on portion is to thicken the soup a bit at the end. Then voila! Top it with your favourite baked potato toppings and enjoy!
Why you should make Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- It is incredibly easy to do!
- Very little hands-on time is required
- It’s made with simple ingredients you likely have on hand.
- Coming home to a warm meal can’t be beat!
- You can enjoy all the flavours of a baked potato, in soup form!
- It’s delicious!
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- Potatoes: I use 5 russet potatoes that are peeled and diced.
- Onion: diced
- Chicken broth: You can use vegetable broth for a vegetarian recipe
- Seasoning: onion powder, salt and pepper
- Butter: Used to form the roux
- Flour: Together with the butter, forms the roux which is used to thicken the soup.
- Milk: In order to keep this soup “lighter”, I use milk that is thickend with a roux instead of using heavy cream.
- Sour cream
Note: Ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Toppings for Baked Potato Soup:
- Cheddar cheese: shredded
- Sour cream
- Bacon: cooked and chopped
- Chives: you can substitute green onion for chives if you don’t have them on hand.
How to make Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- Slow cook the soup base: Add potato, onion, chicken broth, onion powder, salt and pepper into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes to the desired containers.
- Make a roux: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add flour. Whisk together to form a roux and then add the milk. Continue whisking until the milk thickens. Stir in the sour cream.
- Heat through: Add the saucepan ingredients into the slow cooker and stir together. Cook in slow cooker on low for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings: Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon and chives (as much as desired)
Can you make Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Gluten-free?
This soup can be easily made gluten free with a few tweaks. Instead of using flour to create a roux, you can use cornstarch to thicken the soup instead. To do this, in a small bowl, stir 3 tablespoons of corn starch with the milk in this recipe. Place it in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk until it thickens. Then stir in the sour cream. Add it to the slow cooker and continue the recipe as written.
What to serve with Baked Potato Soup
This soup is hearty and nourishing on its own so it can be served on its own. That said, I love to serve this soup up with a nice side like a fresh salad like my Orange Pomegranate Salad with Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing or Healthy Caesar Salad.
Another favourite side is to serve these up with biscuits like these Cheddar Chive Biscuits or Keto Cheddar Biscuits (which are a nice low carb option).
Storing Leftovers and Reheating
Once cooled, leftovers can be placed in an airtight container and stored in fridge for a few days.
To reheat leftovers, place in a saucepan and heat on the stove top until warmed through.
Can you freeze Baked Potato Soup?
Yes, baked potato soup can be frozen. Once cooled, transfer it to a freezer safe container or bags.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Looking for more Slow Cooker recipes? You may also like:
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
Easy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- 5 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream
- bacon cooked and chopped
- Add potato, onion, chicken broth, onion powder, salt and pepper into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes to the desired containers.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add flour. Whisk together to form a roux and then add the milk. Continue whisking until the milk thickens. Stir in the sour cream.
- Add the saucepan ingredients into the slow cooker and stir together. Cook in slow cooker on low for another 20-30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon and chives (as much as desired)