This easy Chicken Enchiladas recipe is packed with flavour and sure the satisfy the whole family!
This is our go-to Chicken Enchiladas recipe! Perfectly cheesy, delicious and so easy to put together for a quick family dinner!
The other day, I stared into my fridge and freezer trying to come up with an idea for what to cook. We are out of leafy greens and many of the ingredients I needed for my initial dinner plan. A trip to the grocery store was out of the question.
Luckily I noticed the package of tortillas we picked up on our last trip to the store. That reminded me of our favourite enchilada recipe and a dinner idea was born!
I love this recipe because we often have all the ingredients we need. Frozen chicken, onions, cheese and a jar of salsa are always on hand here so putting this dish together is pretty darn easy.
This dish is easy to make and so yummy! Who doesn’t love creamy chicken, salsa and a good amount of melty cheese? Its a great comfort meal and is sure to please everyone!
Tips for making Chicken Enchiladas in a hurry
This recipe is pretty easy and comes together pretty quickly but there are a few things I do to make it easier on me.
Prep your chicken
The recipe calls for a pound of cooked chicken. While it doesn’t take long to do on the same night if you want to, I like to have my chicken ready to go. There are a few options to do this. You can cook your chicken in advance (I sometimes cook extra chicken from a previous meal knowing that I can use it for this recipe) or use a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
You can save a bit of prep time by using pre-shredded cheese for this dish. If you are using block cheese, you can also pre-shred it and store it in your fridge in a plastic container or bag.
If you don’t have fresh veggies on hand, don’t worry about it! You can still make the recipe while leaving them out.
You can also sub in frozen veggies instead. Frozen corn is a great substitution. I always have frozen chopped peppers as well. I tend to buy bell peppers in bulk when they are on sale and then chop them and freeze them. They are perfect for stir-fry dishes and recipes like this!
You may also like:
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs, cooked, shredded
- 1 cup salsa divided
- 125 g cream cheese cubed (4oz or half a brick)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 green onions chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Place oil in skillet and turn heat on stove to medium. Add onions and peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, 1/4 cup salsa, cream cheese, and cumin and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/4 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture down center of each tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in casserole dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Top with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and tomatoes, if desired, and serve.