This Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal is delicious, easy to make with only a handful of ingredients and healthy! It’s also vegan and gluten free!
Who doesn’t love a chocolatey breakfast that is actually healthy? This girl definitely, does!
While I am not usually inclined to indulge in sweet breakfasts, from time to time, I decide I should treat my husband to something sweet. While making it sweet, we also prefer to start our days with something nutritious and healthy too so creating recipes that do both is essential.
Naturally, I have to find a way to include some chocolate in it.
This chocolate chip baked oatmeal also tends to double for snacks later in the day too.
Can’t blame a girl for digging in to more than one portion of this baked oatmeal. It is seriously good. And oh so chocolatey.
The recipe I planned out was with chocolate chips. But I couldn’t stop there. The baked oatmeal seemed to be begging for more drizzled chocolate and I was happy to oblige its request.
Did I mention that this recipe is healthy?
It actually is. Despite a good dose of chocolate it uses dark chocolate which is healthy. Its a good source of antioxidants and provides a whole host of health benefits.
My recipe also includes other healthy ingredients like oats, ground flax seeds, and maple syrup. No refined sugar here which is always something we aim to do wherever we can to healthify sweeter recipes.
The recipe is naturally gluten free and vegan (if you use non-dairy milk)!
Just some of the reasons I love this recipe. Are you sold yet? I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Bananas: overripe, mashed bananas are used in this recipe- about 1 1/2 cups worth when mashed.
- Oats: Rolled oats
- Milk: You can use any type of milk you like including non-dairy milks like oat milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
- Maple syrup: to sweeten the oatmeal.
- Ground flaxseed: Optional but added for added nutrients.
- Vanilla extract: for flavour.
- Chocolate chips: dark chocolate chips were used but you can substitute your favourite type.
How to make Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
This recipe is super easy and requires just 2 steps!
- Add everything to a bowl and mix: Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Pour into a parchment lined baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool and drizzle with chocolate: Remove from oven. Let cool completely before slicing. You can drizzle melted chocolate on top before serving if you wish.
See? Easy right?
How to store baked oatmeal
Leftover baked oatmeal can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge once it has cooled. It will last for several days if stored this way, making it great for meal prep!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
If you like this Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal, you may also like:
Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- 3 bananas overripe, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- melted chocolate chips (to drizzle over top)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9×9 baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease the pan).
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Pour into baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool completely before slicing. You can drizzle melted chocolate on top before serving if you wish.