Vegan Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars
These make-ahead Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars are the perfect way to start off your busy morning! Sweet strawberries and a crumbly, buttery oat crust come together to make this delicious make-ahead breakfast you can enjoy on a busy morning!
I have never been a morning person. Especially if I have to wake up with an alarm clock. Needless to say, the only time we enjoy any yummy breakfasts made by my own two hands on a weekday morning is when I’ve made it ahead of time! I choose hitting the snooze button over getting up and eating breakfast every time.
Since marrying my hubby, he has definitely helped me out a lot in this department! Seriously, thank goodness for my husband, otherwise I’d never eat breakfast most work days! He gets me out of bed in the mornings and is often responsible for putting food in front of me. He is definitely the hero most mornings! I’d be going to work each day with an empty stomach without him.
As my poor hubby has inherited the responsibility of making our weekday breakfasts, I try to help out by making the occasional make-ahead breakfast. Baked oatmeals, breakfast cookies or bars, and frittatas are my way of getting breakfast ready the night before or on the weekend.
These Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars are one of those awesome make-ahead breakfasts that I make to help to contribute to the weekday chaos. And they are so frickin yummy! We both love fresh strawberries and so these bars are right up both our alleys!
They are incredibly easy to make with ingredients we already have on hand so often when we have strawberries in the fridge, this recipe comes out! The recipe takes less than 15 minutes to put together and bakes up in less than half an hour. While I often make these in advance, you could easily manage to make them the same morning.
These bars appeal to the masses. Kiddos and adults alike love these and I have often made them to bring to pot lucks as well! They can be served as a dessert as well which is awesome!
They are pretty darn healthy too! Aside from the sugar, that is, these are made with wholesome ingredients. Using coconut oil instead of butter is another way I like to keep these healthier!
Vegan Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars
Coconut oil vs Butter
My recipe for Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars is easily made vegan. In order to ensure a vegan bar, use coconut oil instead of butter. Although I am not vegan, I often do as a healthier alternative for butter.
You will also need to make sure that your brown sugar is vegan. Many commercial brown sugars are processed with bone char. Organic sugars processed in North America are (at least to my best knowledge) vegan-friendly so choose these instead. You could also substitute the brown sugar for coconut sugar if you like!
You may also like these make-ahead breakfast ideas:
Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars
- Strawberry Filling
2 cups chopped strawberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Oat Crust
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup oat flour (can use all purpose or whole wheat f not gluten free)
2/3 cup brown sugar*
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup coconut oil or butter, melted**
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a 10×10 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle chopped strawberries with lemon juice and cornstarch. Stir to coat the strawberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the melted butter and mix until the all the dry ingredients are moist.
- Reserve 3/4 cup oat mixture. Add the remaining mixture to the baking pan and spread evenly. Press down.
- Sprinkle the strawberries evenly on top of the pressed oats. Then sprinkle the remaining oats on top of the strawberries.
- Bake in the oven for 27-30 minutes or until they begin to turn a nice golden brown.
- *Use organic brown sugar to ensure it is vegan or substitute with coconut sugar
- **use coconut oil if you are making this recipe vegan