This simple, flavourful breakfast bake is packed with squash, spinach and sausage and so easy to whip up! This healthy breakfast bake is the perfect addition to your breakfast table.
Whether you are making it for a special brunch or as part of your meal prep for the week, the fact that you can make it in advance makes life so much easier. I am all about keeping my mornings simple! The last thing I have energy to do in the morning is make a fuss in the kitchen…that I then have to clean up. No thanks. I rise early but like to take things slow and ease into my day.
In addition to it being a great make-ahead breakfast, I love the flavours in this dish and how they all work so well together! It’s no secret that I love squash. It isn’t surprising then that I found a way to incorporate it into my breakfast too! I also adore that the dish as a whole is healthy and incorporates a good, healthy portion of veggies! Eggs are a great source of protein, and the spinach and squash provide a multitude of vitamins and minerals. That’s my kind of breakfast!
Meal prepping your breakfast bake!
What’s great about using squash in this recipe is that it doesn’t need to be too complicated. You can prep ingredients the night before or prep the entire dish!
I often use up leftover squash from dinner or even a couple handfuls of chopped frozen squash from the frozen vegetable aisle at the grocery store. It comes in handy to toss into dishes like this breakfast bake! I especially love that it is par-boiled which means I don’t even have to pre-cook it and can toss it into the breakfast bake straight out of the bag!
If I am using fresh squash, I like to prep it the night before for easy assembly. In fact, I often also prep the sausage the night before so it can all be assembled easily in the morning. That or I bake the entire thing the night before and just reheat it in the morning! It keeps well in the fridge, so why not make life a little less complicated? I highly recommend it!
I absolutely love this dish and hope you do to! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
Cherry Tomato Frittata
Sausage, Squash and Spinach Breakfast Bake
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sausage sliced thinly (pork, turkey, chicken or your favourite type of sausage)
- 1 1/2 cups spinach chopped
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven at 400F and lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish with oil.
- Boil cubed butternut squash until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Thinly slice sausage and saute with a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, mozzarella cheese, milk, salt, pepper and parsley. Add the spinach, squash, sausage. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the center has set. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.