If you have not tried Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, called Avgolemono in Greek, you are truly missing out. I may be biased as a Greek girl, but it is the best chicken soup I have ever had!
It is warm and creamy and ultra comforting. I have enjoyed this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono) so many times in my life and never tire of it! Its exactly whats needed if you are feeling under the weather! My mom used to make it for me when I was down with a cold and the bright, lemony flavour did wonders to lift my spirits.
The soup has a creamy texture but has no cream or dairy of any kind. The creaminess comes from the addition of whipped egg whites at the last stage of cooking. Avgolemono actually refers to a sauce made from whipped eggs and lemon. It is used in many Greek dishes. I absolutely love it. The lemon flavour is easily customizable. Add more or less lemon juice to suit your tastes. My husband loves more lemon than I do so I usually serve the soup with lemon wedges and he adds to his heart’s content. This is a good idea if you have picky eaters. Everybody can adjust it to meet their needs.
The recipe I am sharing is my moms recipe. It has been a favourite in our family for years and when I first made it for my husband, it became one of his favourites too. Over the years, I have stuck to this recipe as it is, making only minor adjustments like switching out the rice for orzo (which is also a delicious option).
The recipe makes several portions. You can freeze the soup if you like to heat up when needed. If you are doing this, skip the last step of adding the lemon-egg sauce. It doesn’t do well during the freezing-reheating process and is better off made fresh when you are ready to eat it. It does just fine in the refrigerator though, so feel free to store any leftovers in the fridge for lunch next the day! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono Soup)
- 1 lb chicken (breast, thigh, or drumsticks)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 cup Italian rice rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, add the chicken, broth, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium and cook on a low boil until the chicken is cooked through. Cooking time will depend on the cut of chicken used. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- Add the rice, carrot and celery and boil until the rice is cooked through. Meanwhile, shred the chicken once it is cool enough to handle. Add it back to the soup. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- In 2 bowls, crack the eggs, separating the whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until they are fluffy and hold their shape. Beat the egg yolks for a couple of minutes and then mix the egg whites and yolks together.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and continue to beat. Continue to beat as you add some hot soup to the egg mixture to prevent cooking the eggs. Add the egg-lemon mixture to the soup pot and stir. Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with additional lemon juice if desired.