This Cheesy Broccoli Fritters recipe is a super easy and fun way to eat your veggies! Broccoli and cheddar cheese are a classic combo and when they are made into these fritters, even picky eaters will enjoy eating there veggies!
I love a good fritter recipe and often use them to get pickier eaters to eat veggies. This recipe is actually based on my favourite Zucchini Fritter recipe with a few modifications. They’re tasty, quick and super easy to make which is a bonus too! They make a good appetizer or side to your meal. They reheat well making them awesome for meal prep too!
While I fry these fritters up, I included some tips for baking them up instead for an even healthier and lower calorie fritter. Be sure to check out the section “How can you make these fritters healthier?” for tips on how to do this.
Tips to make the easiest Cheesy Broccoli Fritters
These fritters are really super simple to make but there are a few things I do to simplify the process even more.
Tip #1: Use a food processor if you have one! Honestly, prepping these fritters is an absolute breeze with the use of this kitchen appliance.
Tip #2: Use an ice cream scoop to help size your fritters. Honestly, I use my ice cream scoop more often to portion out fritters or muffins than I do actual ice cream. It really is the best way to get a uniform size for your fritters.
Tip #3: Test out one fritter before frying them all up. This is the best way to check your seasonings and adjust it before its too late. You can also do this with just a mini fritter to see how it tastes. Feel free to adjust the seasonings or add in your favourite herbs and spices to change things up. Red pepper flakes are great for added spice.
Tip #4: Serve it these babies up with a good dip! My favourite is to serve these up with ranch dressing but feel free to use your favourite dip (or even no dip at all).
How can you make these fritters healthier?
These babies are loaded with veggies, which to me, means they are healthy. That said, they are also fried which definitely adds calories to the recipe! You can easily avoid this by baking them instead or by “frying” them in your air fryer. I have not tried air frying these myself yet but am planning to test them soon (I will update this with cooking times when I do). If anyone tries out the air fryer method before I do, I’d love to know how it went!
To bake these fritters instead, follow these instructions: Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the patties on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for approximately 20 minutes and then flip. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until they are cooked through and golden brown. Note: you can reduce the bake time by forming smaller patties.
I hope you enjoy these fritters!
You may also like:
Zucchini & Corn Fritters
Baked Zucchini Feta Fritters
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cheesy Broccoli Fritters
- 3 cups broccoli finely chopped (1 large or two small broccoli heads)
- 1/4 onion
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- oil, for frying
- Place the broccoli and onion in a food processor and pulse until it is finely chopped. If you do not have one, you can finely chop the broccoli and onion.
- Mix the broccoli with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Form into balls about the size of a clementine and then press down to form patties. [If the mixture seems to wet, add a little more breadcrumbs. If it is too dry and won’t hold its shape, add another egg].
- Heat oil (about a quarter inch deep or enough to cover at least halfway up the fritter) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a few fritters to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook for a few minutes or until it begins to turn a nice golden brown and then flip to cook the other side. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat with remaining patties.