This easy to make Zucchini Fritters recipe is simple but flavorful and a fantastic way to use up all those garden zucchinis! They’re the perfect summer appetizer or side dish and packed with fresh zucchini and herbs!
Zucchini Fritters or kolokithokeftedes in Greek have always been one of my favourite summertime treats! As a huge zucchini lover, I love pretty much any way you can prepare zucchini. But these fritters are top of the list!
As kids, my mom would always make them for us as soon as the garden started to produce its first zucchinis. Now that I have my own garden, it is the first thing I made with our first picks of the season. I mean, what better way to put them to use??
Unlike me, my hubby is not a huge zucchini fan, but he loves them this way. I mean, it is a fritter and pretty much any vegetable shredded and turned into one would taste good, right? We devoured this batch in no time and my husband is already asking if I am going to use the other zucchinis in our crisper to make more. I should, he says. Clearly he’s a fan.
This recipe is simple and easy to make. If you have zucchini on hand, you probably already have everything else you need in your pantry and fridge. Nothing too fancy here. Breadcrumbs, eggs, a bit of flour, herbs, salt and pepper. I like to add Parmesan too which is optional but adds a nice flavour!
My recipe calls for fresh herbs but if you don’t have any on hand, you can sub dried ones instead, just be sure to use less as they are more potent when dried.
How to make Zucchini Fritters
To make these zucchini fritters, you will need:
- 2 small zucchinis, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated (optional, but recommended)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- oil, for frying
To make them, I start by shredding the zucchini and then placing it in a clean dish cloth or paper towel and squeezing out all the water. Then I mix the shredded zucchini with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. I form the mix into balls about the size of a clementine and then press down to form patties.
Next, I heat oil (about a quarter inch deep or enough to cover at least halfway up the fritter) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. I work in batches, adding a few fritters to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. They cook for a few minutes or until they begin to turn a nice golden brown and then I flip them to cook the other side. I use a slotted spoon to remove them and set them on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
Super easy, super delicious!
I hope you guys enjoy these fritters as much as we do! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
2 small zucchinis, shredded
1/3 cup Parmesan, grated (optional, but recommended)
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon fresh dill
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
oil, for frying
- Shred zucchini and then place in a clean dish cloth or paper towel and squeeze out all the water.
- Mix the shredded zucchini with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Form into balls about the size of a clementine and then press down to form patties.
- Heat oil (about a quarter inch deep or enough to cover at least halfway up the fritter) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a few fritters to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook for a few minutes or until it begins to turn a nice golden brown and then flip to cook the other side. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat with remaining patties.