These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins are the best way to use up that zucchini! Simple, moist, and packed with zucchini making it a nice healthier alternative to regular muffins!
We are almost halfway through summer and produce is at its absolute best right now! Grocery store shelves are bursting with fresh, local produce and our garden itself is producing it like crazy these days!
Of all the summer produce, zucchini is one of my absolute favourite! I especially love it because there is just so much that I can do with it! I have so many favourite zucchini recipes on this blog and there are so many more I can share with you in the weeks to come!
Today, I am sharing my husbands new favourite recipe! He is pretty much down for anything that contains chocolate chips and chocolate chip muffins are his weakness! He is not, however, a huge fan of zucchini unless it is shredded and hidden well in the food I make him. These muffins did the trick and he is currently eating yet another muffin as I type this post!
These muffins are truly a hit with him since between bites he just told me I should make more with the other zucchini sitting on our kitchen counter. Clearly this picky eater likes them! And if this picky big kid likes them, I feel confident in saying these would be a hit with little kiddos too!
Why you should make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- they’re a tasty way to put that zucchini to use
- they’re easy to whip up
- you only need 1 bowl to mix these muffins up
- they are loaded with zucchini
- they are super moist
- even picky eaters enjoy muffins (even if they are loaded up with zucchini!)
- if you have zucchini, you probably have everything else you need on hand!
- most importantly- they are delicious!!
What you need to make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- flour (all purpose, whole wheat or a combo of both)
- brown sugar or coconut sugar
- baking soda
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- shredded zucchini
- chocolate chips
Note: Ingredient amounts and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make these zucchini muffins
Essentially, these muffins come down to several nice and easy steps.
- Strain the zucchini. Place the shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth or clean dish towel and squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Next, in a large bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients. Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract and mix everything together until well incorporated.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Then, add the shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir until they are incorporated, being careful not to over-stir.
- Pour into a muffin tin and bake! Finally, pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
That is it! So simple, so yummy!
Tips for making the best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Strain your zucchini. Zucchini is full of water so its important to squeeze out as much as possible before adding it to your batter. If you don’t, your batter will become too wet as it bakes.
- Use a food processor to shred your zucchini. Sure, you can do it with a hand grater, but it is so much faster to do this step in a food processor using the shredding attachment. It’s definetely the only way I shred my zucchini these days!
- Use a toothpick to test for doneness. Oven temperatures can vary so the best way to check if your muffins are baked through is to use the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it is fully baked! If it comes out with batter sticking to it, add more baking time.
- Nuts make good add-ins for this recipe. Walnuts, especially, go so well in these muffins so if you are looking to up your protein, chop some up and stir them into the batter when you add the chocolate chips!
Can you freeze chocolate chip zucchini muffins?
Yes, you can! These muffins are great for freezing. I often double or even triple my recipe when I have lots of zucchini on hand to maintain a good freezer stash. Future me is always pleased! They are great for throwing into my lunch bag on a busy weekday without having to whip them up from scratch!
To freeze these muffins, allow them to cool completely and then place them in a freezer safe bag. When you want to enjoy one, take it out and allow it to thaw on the counter.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
You may also like:
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Carrot Zucchini Muffins
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup flour (all purpose, whole wheat or a combo of both)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Place shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth or clean dish towel and squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar and mix together.
- Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract and mix everything together until well incorporated. Add the shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir until they are incorporated, being careful not to over-stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.