This double chocolate zucchini bread is easy to make in one bowl and so delicious! It’s the perfect way to use up that garden zucchini and transform it into a decadent treat everyone will love!
I have always been a fan of zucchini bread and this chocolate version is no exception. It is full of chocolatey flavour while still serving up a healthy dose of zucchini and I am here for it! It truly is delicious and a recipe my hubby requests every summer.
While this recipe isn’t exactly healthy, it is, in my opinion, a healthier way to enjoy a chocolate cake as it incorporates veggies. Which is better than having no veggies, right? That’s my justification.
Zucchini bread has to be one of my favourite ways to use up zucchini so this recipe comes in super handy when the garden is exploding with so much zucchini I don’t know what to do with it. That is our current situation. The other day we discovered a zucchini bigger than my calf and it has produced so much shredded zucchini I have turned my kitchen into a zucchini bread and muffin factory for the time being.
How to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Did I mention that this recipe is super easy? And also that its made in one bowl? Well it is! And that’s another reason I love it so much!
This chocolate zucchini bread really comes down to a few simple steps:
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to it and mix it all up.
- Mix in the shredded zucchini and the chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a parchment lined loaf pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips (cause why not?) and bake!
It really doesn’t get any easier than that!
Do you need to squeeze out water from zucchini to make this bread?
In order to make the best zucchini bread, you will definitely have to squeeze out water from your shredded zucchini. Zucchini tends to hold a lot of excess moisture and this will leach out while it bakes, making it difficult for your baked goodies to set properly.
Squeezing water out of zucchini is super easy to do. You can use a cheese cloth or clean dish towel. Place the shredded zucchini in the middle of your cheese cloth or dish towel and then wrap up your zucchini so it does not fall out. Then squeeze as much water out of it as you can.
Do you need to skin zucchini to make zucchini bread?
The skin of zucchini is tender and full of nutrients so you do not need to peel zucchini to make bread. The zucchini, skin and all, becomes pretty much undetectable in chocolate zucchini bread!
How many zucchinis do you need for 1 1/2 cups shredded?
1 medium zucchini usually yields enough zucchini for this bread but if your zucchinis are small, I would pick up 2 to ensure you have enough.
How do you know when the chocolate zucchini bread is ready?
The best way to tell if your zucchini bread is fully baked (or any baked good such as cakes, muffins, etc) is to use the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick into the center of your loaf and if it comes out clean and free of batter, you know it has fully cooked. If batter sticks to the toothpick, you will need to cook it longer.
Because there are chocolate chips in this recipe, you may end up checking a spot with melty chips so I recommend testing out more than 1 spot of your chocolate zucchini bread to be sure its baked through.
This post was originally published on July 20, 2020 and was updated with new content, photos and an improved recipe on August 29, 2021.
You may also like these other great uses for zucchini:
Zucchini Oat Waffles
Carrot Zucchini Muffins
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini shredded
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a standard loaf pan with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar and mix together.
- Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract and mix everything together until well incorporated. Add the shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir until they are incorporated, being careful not to over-stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle it with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for about 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and gently remove from the pan. Allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.