This easy, one-bowl Chocolate Banana Bread is moist, delicious and ultra chocolatey. Perfect for chocolate-lovers looking for a rich, chocolate treat!
When we have overripe bananas, I get quite excited at the idea of making banana bread. Honestly, is there anything better than a freshly baked banana bread?
Who knew that there was: Chocolate Banana Bread!
2 of the best desserts put together is definitely a recipe for deliciousness! I don’t know why it took me so long to try this amazing combination, but I am making up for lost time now! I mean, how can I not? Super moist and delicious banana brad+ chocolate= a chocolate lovers dream!
For this recipe, I took my favourite one-bowl Easy Banana Bread recipe and added loads of chocolate flavour to it. I used both cocoa powder and chocolate chips, for good measure.
The results are a rich, chocolatey banana bread and, let me tell you, it did not last long around here!
If you are a chocoholic like me, you need to make this bread asap!
Why you should make Chocolate Banana Bread
- It’s delicious! I mean, chocolate + banana bread = chocoholics heaven!
- It is easy to make: No fancy equipment needed and you don’t need to be a pastry chef. This simple recipe is easy enough for a beginner!
- It whips up in one bowl: I love one-bowl recipes since they cut down on clean up!
- It’s moist and tender!
- It’s delicious. I know I said that already, but it needs to be said again. So good!
Ingredients in Chocolate Banana Bread
- overripe bananas
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
How to make Chocolate Banana Bread
- Mash the bananas: In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Mix in the wet ingredients and sugar: Then add the butter, eggs, vanilla extract and sugars, mixing them together until well combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients: Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips: Once batter is mixed, fold in 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips.
- Top with more chocolate chips and bake: Transfer to the loaf pan and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
How to store banana bread
Chocolate Banana bread can be stored the same way you store regular banana bread- at room temperature. Once the chocolate banana bread has cooled, wrap the loaf or individual slices in plastic food wrap and place it in an airtight container. While it isn’t necessary to wrap it in plastic food wrap, it helps to retain the moisture better so I highly recommend it.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread. Once it has completely cooled, wrap the entire loaf or, if it is pre-sliced, each individual slice in plastic food wrap. Then place it in a freezer safe bag or container.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
You may also like:
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 bananas overripe mashed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour all purpose, whole wheat pastry flour or a combination of both
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it generously.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Then add the butter, eggs, vanilla extract and sugars, mixing them together until well combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Once batter is mixed, fold in 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips.
- Transfer to the loaf pan and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.