Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins that are super fluffy, moist and, best of all, healthy! Easy to make in just one bowl for easy clean up too! Now that’s what I’m talking about!
We love a good muffin in this house! My husband especially! There are so many delicious muffin recipes we have tried in the past but one of our favourites is my oat muffin base.
I have used it to make a variety of muffins by simply swapping out chocolate chips for fruits like blueberries and strawberries. It is such a versatile recipe that I keep coming back to it. I also keep coming back because its a recipe that I can feel good about. Without any refined sugar and some healthier swaps, I know that I am making the healthiest muffins I can for us.
If you have tried my Healthy Strawberry Banana Muffins and loved them as much as I do than you will absolutely love these muffins! They are based off the same recipe with only a couple minor tweaks. I love that I can make something feel brand new with just a few swaps!
Tips for making Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins with dietary restrictions
Vegan (and Healthy) Substitutions
Turning this recipe into a vegan one is easy with a few simple swaps. Even if you are not vegan, these substitutions offer a healthy (often healthier) alternative! Below are some simple swaps to keep this recipe vegan.
- substitute coconut oil for butter
- use flax eggs instead of regular eggs. Tips on how to do this is in the notes section of this recipe
- use a non-dairy milk in this recipe
- ensure your chocolate chips are vegan
Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins
These muffins are naturally gluten-free provided you make them with oats and oat flour that is certified gluten-free! If you are choosing to not use oat flour in this recipe, you can swap out the flour for a gluten-free flour mix using a 1:1 ratio.
You may also like:
Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins
- 2 eggs whisked (substitute flax eggs instead for a vegan option. See notes below)
- 2 bananas mushed with a fork
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (you can substitute all purpose or whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats (for sprinkling on top of muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350F and add muffin liners to a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix eggs, bananas, coconut oil, honey, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add flour and oats and stir together until well incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and fold into the mixture. Spoon batter into muffin liners and sprinkle the tops with some rolled oats.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 20 minutes. Gently remove muffins from tin and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.