Make a deliciously creamy and rich mug of homemade hot chocolate with chocolate chips at home! This recipe uses real chocolate (chips or even chopped chocolate) to make an easy but decadent drink that will please all chocolate lovers!
There is no better way to warm up on a cold winter night than with a cup of warm, decadent hot chocolate! Snuggled under a blanket with a cup of this delicious treat is seriously one of the best things about the season!
I have always been a huge fan of hot chocolate. I mean, who isn’t a fan? Most of my experience with hot chocolate is with the powdery instant form. Add the powder to a cup, warm up some milk or water and voila! Instant hot chocolate. I wouldn’t turn down a cup of it ever, but once you have tried true hot chocolate, made with actual chocolate, it just doesn’t compare!
The best hot chocolate I ever had was with actual chocolate that was melted and heated with milk. It resulted in a luxuriously creamy and ultra chocolatey drink. So good!! It is also surprisingly easy to do too. It takes just 15 minutes to make (less if you use chocolate chips instead of chopping the chocolate)! Very little time and effort and you have something soooo much better than anything made with a powder (that includes packets or cocoa powder versions, in my opinion)!
Topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings (or both!) and you have the makings of a cozy evening!
Why you should make homemade hot chocolate with chocolate chips:
- it is so quick and easy to make!
- it uses ingredients you likely already have on hand
- it can easily be adjusted to suit your tastes
- there are no artificial ingredients or preservatives
- it is more affordable than store-bought packets
- real chocolate is much more decadent than cocoa powder
What you need to make homemade hot chocolate without cocoa powder
To make this homemade hot chocolate with chocolate chips, you need just a few ingredients:
- milk (2% or more is preferable)
- semi-sweet chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
- sugar (adjust the sugar to suit your taste preferences)
- vanilla extract (optional)
I also like to add toppings to my hot chocolate but these are optional. My favourite toppings include: whipped cream, a sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings (can also use mini chocolate chips) and marshmallows!
How to make homemade hot chocolate with chocolate chips
This simple recipe requires only a few super easy steps:
- Heat the milk: Add the milk to a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes (until it is beginning to warm and no longer cold).
- Stir in the chocolate and sugar: Stir in the chopped chocolate and sugar and whisk continuously until the chocolate and sugar have dissolved and the hot chocolate is smooth and warmed through but not boiling.
- Add the vanilla and serve! Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract if using. Ladle into your mug and serve!
That’s it! Easy right?
Cozy up with your hot cup of hot chocolate and enjoy every sip!
Stay warm and cozy!
You may also like:
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Scones
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Homemade Hot Chocolate (with Chocolate Chips)
- 1 cup milk (2% or more is preferable)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
- 2 teaspoons sugar (adjust the sugar to suit your taste preferences)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- whipped cream, for serving
- cocoa powder or chocolate shavings, for garnish
- marshmallows, for serving
- Add the milk to a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes (until it is beginning to warm and no longer cold).
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and sugar and whisk continuously until the chocolate and sugar have dissolved and the hot chocolate is smooth and warmed through but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract if using. Ladle into a mug.
- Optional: top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings. You can also add marshmallows if desired.