These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick, chewy and oh-so chocolatey! With a few healthy swaps, this twist on a traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe is made vegan while still tasting like a traditional chocolate chip cookie!
My husband and I are not vegan and this is still our favourite and most-used chocolate chip cookie recipe. If that isn’t a testament to how good these cookies are, I don’t know what is! They truly are delicious and can be enjoyed by everyone, despite dietary restrictions so I make them often. I have shared them with many friends and family over the years and people are always surprised to learn that they are vegan!
This cookie recipe yields 12 large cookies that bake up in just 12 minutes! I used a 3-tablespoon cookie scoop (actually, its my ice cream scoop). You can also make them smaller by using a smaller cookie scoop. Be sure to reduce the baking time if you are doing this.
These dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are not only delicious, but they are incredibly easy to make!
Oh, and no chill time is required! How is that for getting your cookie fix in just when you need it!
What Ingredients do you need to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- All purpose flour: you can substitute all purpose gluten-free flour for gf option
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil: melted. Use refined coconut oil to reduce the taste/smell of coconut if you are not a fan.
- Coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt (optional)
How to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The full recipe is in the recipe card below but essentially, these cookies require only a few simple steps:
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium size bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients with sugar: In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, coconut milk, sugars, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet and the dry ingredients: Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips: Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop and bake: Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop (or ice cream scoop), arrange 6 mounds on each baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to set but the center is still soft.
[Note: The cookies will be a bit puffy when they are removed from the oven but they will flatten out a bit as they cool].
Freezing Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies can be frozen and that, my friends, is great news for all of us cookie lovers! By making and freezing the dough in advance you can have chocolate chip cookies ready to go in just minutes!!
I have never tried to freeze baked cookies because who the heck ever has more cookies than they can eat? Not this girl! I would imagine they freeze up as well as any other chocolate chip cookies.
As this recipe makes 12 large cookies, if you are not willing to eat them all or are being health-conscious and don’t want to be tempted, scoop and freeze the cookies you don’t want to eat.
I highly recommend doubling the recipe and then freezing half of it for future use. You get to enjoy cookies immediately as well as stash some away for future use!
In order to freeze the cookie dough, follow these simple steps:
- Scoop the cookies onto 1 baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- They do not need to be spaced far apart since you won’t be baking them.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour to harden.
- Remove from freezer and place the frozen cookies in a large freezer-safe ziplock bag or container. Place back in the freezer until you are ready to use them!
You may also like:
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour (substitute all purpose gluten-free flour for gf option)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, coconut milk, sugars, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until everything is well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop (or ice cream scoop), arrange 6 mounds on each baking sheet. The cookies will spread while cooking so I prefer to do 6 to a sheet to prevent touching. Sprinkle with flaky salt if desired.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to set but the center is still soft. Let them cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes. The cookies will be a bit puffy when they are removed from the oven but they will flatten out a bit as they cool.