What’s better than lasagna without all the fuss? This healthy and easy lasagna soup has all the flavours (and ingredients) of your classic lasagna but without the hassle of layering ingredients and waiting for them to bake. It is also hiding a good serving of vegetables! You don’t need to tell any picky eaters if you don’t want to!
I love that I can prepare all the components of a classic lasagna in the exact same pot and it is ready to go! What I also like is that I can hide veggies in here and no one has to know! I am a huge lover of zucchini and shred a whole medium zucchini into this soup! It disappears while cooking.
My husband enjoys most of the zucchini dishes I make as long as there are no large chunks of it. He knows it is in the soup- he often helps out in the kitchen and has reached master shredder status around here. He is happy to know its in there from a health perspective. Because of the way it is cooked it doesn’t interfere with his enjoyment of the dish either. Its a win for everyone!
I also sneak in shredded carrots too. Why not? I always have them on hand, as many people do. Its another way to make this dish a bit healthier and so its a no-brainer for me.
If you are serving this soup to non-picky eaters and feel like you would prefer to see larger chunks of veggies, feel free to chop them instead of shredding them!
This lasagna soup is delicious, nutritious and MUCH easier to make than an actual lasagna so it is a go-to recipe around here when we really want lasagna but can’t be bothered to make a huge mess in the kitchen! Less dishes, less steps, all the yummy comfort we crave!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot shredded or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 1 small zucchini shredded (peel the darker green skin so it is less visible if serving to picky eaters)
- 6 cups beef broth or water
- 250 g tripoline pasta (or broken lasagna noodles or any pasta of choice, broken into bite sized pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 mozzarella cheese shredded, + more to serve (optional)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated + more to serve (optional)
- Prep veggies by preparing them as listed above. Heat oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onion, and carrot. Cook until meat is cooked through, stirring often and ensuring you break up any large pieces of ground beef.
- Add the dried herbs, tomato sauce, zucchini, beef broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower temperature to medium heat. Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Once soup is ready, ladle into bowls and top with a heaping spoonful of cheese mixture. You may also sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese or mozzarella for an extra cheesy soup (optional).