These Savory Veggie Muffins and packed with zucchini, carrot, corn, fresh herbs and cheese. They are a fantastic way to get picky eaters to eat (and enjoy) their veggies!
I love these muffins and had to share them with you today, because I think (and hope) you will love them too!
They are definitely different from many of the other muffins you will find on my site. No sugar here. These muffins are savoury and cheesy and packed with so much veg! Lots of veg! A dozen muffins hold 2 small zucchinis, 2 carrots, and almost a cup of corn!
I definitely have a savoury tooth and so these muffins are right up my alley! My hubby is also a huge fan too. Despite his very powerful sweet tooth, he has just gobbled down 3 of these, mmmm-ing the whole time. So I have every confidence that you will like them too.
Although it is not currently zucchini season at the moment (I CANNOT wait for it to get here already!), zucchini is readily available year round at the grocery store and I am always stocking up because I love it so much. Since my hubby isn’t a fan of eating in large pieces, the only way I can get him to join me is by grating it. As mentioned above, he absolutely loved these muffins that were packed with it! A win for me!
I highly recommend giving this recipe a go anytime of year but you may also want to save and use this recipe when your garden is exploding with zuccs!
Ingredients for Savory Veggie Muffins
You will need the following ingredients to make these muffins:
- fresh herbs (dill and rosemary are my go-to but you can sub in your favourites or use dry herbs instead)
- baking powder and baking soda
- cheddar (or similar). You can also sub in feta cheese too but I recommend using only about 1/2 cup as it will be too salty if you use a full cup.
- milk (any kind)
- butter (can sub in coconut oil instead)
Once you have all your ingredients, making the muffins is simple! Everything goes into one bowl and you mix it. Scoop and bake and you are enjoying muffins in no time!
You may also like:
Savory Veggie Muffins
- 1 cup zucchini shredded (about 1 medium zucchini or 2 small)
- 1 cup carrot grated (about 2 carrots)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cheddar shredded (or similar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. Spray liners with baking spray.
- Grate zucchini and carrots and squeeze out excess water (from the zucchini. I do this by placing the grated zucchini in a cheese cloth or paper towel and squeezing out the liquid).
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, fresh dill, fresh rosemary and salt and mix together. Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop the batter into the muffin tin, filling each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.