This Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake is moist, delicious and so easy to make! The addition of ricotta in this cake makes it extra fluffy and light.
If you have not tried ricotta cake, I highly recommend giving it a try! When I first heard about ricotta cake, I was a bit thrown off by the thought of adding ricotta to a sweet dessert. I love ricotta but have always used it in savoury dishes. The thought of putting it in a cake sounded a bit weird. If you are having those thoughts reading this, shoo them away!
It is good.
Ricotta adds a lot of moisture to this cake and makes it so light and fluffy. You will quickly dispel any thoughts about it being weird. Its just plain yummy, I tell ya!
Making Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
The cake is very easy to make, with the handy use of a stand mixer.
To start, mix your dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking powder) in a bowl and set it aside. Then cream the sugar, butter and ricotta in a stand mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix well. Then slowly add the dry ingredients until they are incorporated. Lastly, add the chocolate chips. Then in to the oven it goes!
It does require some time in the oven though (about 65 minutes or so, depending on your oven and how “wet” your ricotta is). But the wait is worth it! So worth it!
Tips for making a great cake
- make sure your butter is soft, to ensure it creams together nicely with the sugar and ricotta
- if your ricotta is very wet, make sure you drain it first in a sieve or cheese cloth to remove as much moisture as possible. If it is very wet than your batter will take longer to cook and you run the risk of burning the outside while the inside is uncooked
We haven’t even finished the Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake I baked for this post and my hubby is already requesting that I use the rest of the ricotta to make another- for the “freezer” so we can eat it in the future. Right.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Bon appetit!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
You may also like:
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese strained if needed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease generously with butter. for 65 minutes
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, and ricotta and cream together. Slowly add the eggs and vanilla, mixing to incorporate everything.
- Slowly add the flour mix on low speed until it is all incorporated. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Using a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer onto a cooling rack and let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.