This one bowl Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread incorporates pumpkin puree to produce a tender, moist bread and is studded with lots of chocolate chips!
It’s no secret that I love all things pumpkin. Despite having plenty of pumpkin recipes on my site already, I have so many more to share with you all. I am obsessed. There’s no denying it.
I love pumpkin bread and already have more than one recipe on my site. But the one I am sharing with you today is my husbands favourite recipe. It is essentially the same base recipe I use to make my Pumpkin Streusel Bread except that I have added chocolate chips. That’s all that was needed to get my husband gobbling down slices and recommending we pick up another can of pumpkin puree so that I can make this again soon.
Pumpkin and chocolate is a wonderful combination. I love to put them together as the flavours compliment each other so well. Also, I find it hard to find a dessert recipe where adding chocolate chips doesn’t produce wonderful results. So here we are, with another way to make a pumpkin dessert that will get the whole family asking for another slice. So let’s get to it!
What you need to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- brown sugar
- pumpkin puree
- apple sauce
- milk of choice
- vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Mix the sugar with the wet ingredients. First, in a large bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, apple sauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients. Next, to the wet ingredients, stir in the salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Then add the flour and mix until it is all incorporated. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Add the chocolate chips. Next, add the chocolate chips and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake it! Finally, bake the loaf for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Is Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread healthy?
My recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip bread is actually pretty healthy, I think. While it does have sugar, I created this recipe without the use of oil or butter to cut down on fat. The moisture for this recipe comes from pumpkin puree and apple sauce, both of which are healthier additions. So, all things considered, I’d say this is a healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
How do you know when pumpkin bread is done?
As with most cakes, quick breads and muffins, the best way to know if your pumpkin bread is done is by doing the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick or a wooden skewer in the center of your pumpkin bread. If it comes out clean, it is ready. If batter sticks to the toothpick, you will need to add more time to bake.
Can you freeze pumpkin bread?
Pumpkin bread freezes well so you can absolutely freeze your loaf or even individual slices of pumpkin bread! To freeze, wrap the pumpkin loaf or individual slices well with plastic food wrap. Then place them in a freezer safe bag or container.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Wondering what else to do with that can of pumpkin puree? Check out these recipes!
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips + 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Ensure the parchment paper hangs over the side a bit so that you can grab onto it later to pull the loaf out of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, apple sauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- To the wet ingredients, stir in the salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Then add the flour and mix until it is all incorporated.
- Next, add the chocolate chips and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then take hold of the overhanging parchment paper and carefully lift the pumpkin bread out of the pan and set onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.