Pumpkin Streusel Bread delivers all the flavors you are looking for in a Fall dessert! This easy pumpkin bread recipe produces a moist, fluffy and delicious loaf topped with a crumbly streusel topping.
This Pumpkin Streusel Bread is seriously tough to beat! Moist, fluffy and incredibly delicious. All the things that are important in a pumpkin loaf.
It is easily the best pumpkin bread I have tasted! That is saying a lot because I haven’t met a pumpkin treat that I didn’t like. But there is something about the moist, pumpkin-y loaf topped with the most delicious streusel topping that gets my Fall loving heart singing.
The streusel topping can be omitted if that is not your thing, but for me, it is absolutely mandatory! It is what takes this pumpkin bread over the edge for me. Oh, and that streusel is also flavoured by pumpkin spice so it really ups the pumpkin-y flavour. So good, you guys.
Making this Pumpkin Streusel Bread dairy-free
The loaf itself is made without any butter or oil. It gets all its moisture from the pumpkin and apple sauce. I use milk in the recipe as well but any type of milk can be used.
The streusel, however, does include melted butter (which I find the most flavourful) but if you are dairy-free, you can use coconut oil or a neutral flavoured oil instead.
How do you know when your pumpkin bread is fully baked?
The best way to test for doneness in pumpkin bread (and other quick breads, cakes, and muffins) is to do the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick (or a thin wooden skewer) into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the pumpkin bread is fully cooked through. If batter sticks to the toothpick, then you need to allow for more baking time.
What you need to make pumpkin streusel bread
For the pumpkin bread:
- pumpkin puree
- apple sauce
- brown sugar
- milk of choice
- vanilla extract
- umpkin Pie Spice
- baking powder
- baking soda
For the Streusel Topping:
- brown sugar
- pumpkin spice
How to make Pumpkin Streusel Bread
- Mix the sugar with the wet ingredients. First, in a large bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, apple sauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients. Next, to the wet ingredients, stir in the salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Then add the flour and mix until it is all incorporated. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Make the streusel topping. To make the streusel topping, mix the flour, sugars, pumpkin spice and cinnamon. Then add the melted butter and mix it together with a fork to produce clumps of streusel. Using your hands to break up any larger pieces, sprinkle the topping on top of the pumpkin loaf.
- Bake it! Finally, bake the loaf for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Storing Pumpkin Streusel Bread
Pumpkin bread is best stored at room temperature. Once it has cooled completely on a wire rack, place the loaf in an air tight container or wrap it in plastic food wrap. Then, it can be stored like this on the counter for a few days.
Can you freeze pumpkin bread?
Pumpkin bread can be frozen. First, allow the pumpkin bread to cool completely. Then, to freeze the pumpkin loaf, wrap it well in plastic food wrap. Then you can place it in a freezer safe container or bag.
The pumpkin streusel bread can be wrapped and frozen as a whole loaf or pre-sliced and each slice wrapped in food wrap. To prevent freezer burn each slice should be wrapped separately.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
This recipe was updated with improved recipe information and updated photos on September 12, 2021.
If you like pumpkin recipes, check out these other pumpkin favourites:
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Easy Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Granola
Homemade Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew Coffee
Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Pumpkin Streusel Bread
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Ensure the parchment paper hangs over the side a bit so that you can grab onto it later to pull the loaf out of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, apple sauce, milk and vanilla extract.
- To the wet ingredients, stir in the salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Then add the flour and mix until it is all incorporated. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- To make the streusel topping, mix the flour, sugars, pumpkin spice and cinnamon. Then add the melted butter and mix it together with a fork to produce clumps of streusel. Using your hands to break up any larger pieces, sprinkle the topping on top of the pumpkin loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then take hold of the overhanging parchment paper and carefully lift the pumpkin bread out of the pan and set onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.