Make delicious Lemon Zucchini Bread with this easy recipe that comes together in one bowl! Traditional zucchini bread gets an upgrade with the addition of fresh lemon to make a delicious treat everyone will love!
Imagine if a lemon cake and a loaf of zucchini bread had a baby. Now, no need to imagine. What you’d get is this Lemon Zucchini Bread! And boy is the baby a beaut!
Zucchini bread is a favourite of mine during zucchini season. If you have not tried my favourite one bowl recipe for Zucchini Bread, I highly recommend giving it a try. This classic quick bread recipe has a subtle, delicious flavour from cinnamon and brown sugar and you don’t actually taste the zucchini!
This lemony version is a completely different animal. While I used my zucchini bread recipe as the base, I married it with aspects of my lemon cake recipe. This quick bread does not get its flavour from cinnamon or brown sugar. While it boasts the same moist texture and you also don’t really taste any zucchini, what you do taste in this recipe is the lemon! And if you are a lemon-loving foodie like me, then you will love this quick bread!
Tips for making the best Lemon Zucchini Bread
This recipe is truly easy to do and comes together in one bowl for easy clean up. There are a few things to keep in mind to ensure your bread comes out beautiful and also to simplify your life!
- If you have one, use a food processor to shred your zucchini. This is not essential at all and you can absolutely use a hand grater to do the job, but personally, I LOVE using my food processor and you really can’t beat shredding your zucchini in just seconds. Seconds!
- Squeeze out as much water from your zucchini as you can! In order to ensure the center of the bread bakes up before the outside burns, you are going to want to make sure all that extra moisture from the zucchini doesn’t leach out into your batter and make it too wet. Place the shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth or, alternatively, you can use a clean dish towel or paper towels (double them up to make sure they don’t rip). Then squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Use a toothpick to check that the center is set. Oven cooking times vary and so your best bet is to test the doneness of your bread by using a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the zucchini bread is ready. If it comes out with batter stuck to it, well, that means it needs to bake longer.
- Use parchment or make sure you grease your loaf pan well. I personally prefer using parchment to ensure their is no sticking but its up to you. If you are greasing your loaf pan, be sure to do it well. You can do this with either oil or butter.
- Double the icing recipe to completely cover the cake if you prefer. To be honest, I like it drizzled the way it is, but if you want more icing, you can double the recipe. The icing is lemony in flavour though, so if you double it, you may want to replace half of the liquid with milk (or a milk alternative if you want to keep this dairy-free) so that the lemon flavour isn’t too overpowering.
How to store your bread
On the rare occasion that your family doesn’t devour the whole loaf the day you bake it, you can store your zucchini bread in an air-tight container at room temperature for a day or 2. Make sure it stays covered so that it does not dry out. If possible do not pre-slice your bread. If you do though, just wrap each slice in food wrap to ensure they stay moist.
This recipe also freezes well. Make sure it is stored in an air-tight container to avoid freezer burn. When ready to enjoy, let it come to room temperature.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
You may also like:
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 cup flour (all purpose, whole wheat or a combo of both)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh (or as much as needed to reach the right consistency)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a standard loaf pan with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- Place shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth or clean dish towel and squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix together.
- Add the eggs, oil, fresh lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix everything together until well incorporated. Add the shredded zucchini and stir until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and gently remove from the pan. Allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- In a bowl, whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice together to create a glaze. Pour over the cake. Sprinkle with lemon zest.