Zucchini, eggplant, ricotta and fresh herbs are baked in a tender, flaky crust! Pair this gorgeous galette with a side salad for an impressive meal!
If you aren’t turning your summer produce into a galette, you are missing out! Whether you fill them with sweet or savoury ingredients, galettes are a fun, easy way to showcase gorgeous summer produce!
This summery, savoury galette is almost too pretty to eat! Galettes are an easy pastry that often have a rustic appearance. I got all fancy with mine and spiraled the veggies but you certainly don’t have to! It doesn’t have to look fancy, it just has to be delicious!
I have made several different savory and sweet galettes and love them all equally! I’ve even shared some of them on my site- for another great savoury galette try my Tomato and Feta Galette and for a sweet alternative, my Apple Ginger Galette is delicious!
Having Greek roots and all, this Mediterranean version is right up my alley! Zucchini and eggplant? Yes, please! Fresh herbs? Un huh!
It’s also easy to make and when paired with a nice side salad, makes a nice, healthy(ish) meal.
How to make Mediterranean Vegetable Galette
To make this Mediterranean Vegetable Galette recipe, you will need to start by making a simple pastry crust. To do this, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-6 tablespoons water
For the filling, you will need:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil. chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 small eggplant, sliced thinly
Just before popping it in the oven I also brush it with an egg wash made of 1 whisked egg and a tablespoon of water.
What to do
To start, I slice the zucchini and eggplant and lay it out on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. I sprinkle it with salt and let it sit for half an hour. This will help draw out the moisture in the veggies.
Next, I add flour and salt to a food processor and add the butter, pulsing until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Then I add water and pulse to combine. I turn it out onto a floured surface and form it into a ball. I cover the ball with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Next, I add ricotta, egg, thyme, basil, cumin, salt and pepper into a small bowl and mix to combine.
Once the crust is chilled and the veggies have been resting for 30 minutes, I preheat my oven to 425F. I remove the dough from fridge and roll it out on a floured surface to a circle with a 12″ diameter. It’s then placed on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then spread the ricotta mixture into the center of the crust, leaving about 2 inches space from the edge.
Before using the vegetables, I blot them with a paper towel to absorb the water and then I lay them out on top of the ricotta mixture. In the final step, I fold over the edges of the galette and brush the crust with egg wash. It bakes in the oven for about 35 minutes or until the crust has turned a nice golden brown colour.
That’s it! I slice it up like a pie and serve it with a side salad for a lovely lunch or dinner. So yummy and satisfying!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try it, let me know what you think in the comments below!
You may also like:
Mediterranean Vegetable Galette
- For the crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-6 tablespoons water
- For the filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil. chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly
1 small eggplant, sliced thinly
- For the egg wash:
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
- Slice zucchini and eggplant and lay out on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, add flour and salt to food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add water and pulse. Turn out onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add ricotta, egg, thyme, basil, cumin, salt and pepper into a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Remove dough from fridge and roll out on a floured surface to a circle with a 12″ diameter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread ricotta mixture into the center of the crust, leaving about 2 inches space from the edge. You will need this to fold over the crust in the last step.
- Blot vegetables to absorb water and lay out on top of ricotta mixture.
- Fold over the edges of the galette and brush with egg wash. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the crust has turned a nice golden brown colour.