Traditional apple galette is given a holiday twist with the use of a gingerbread crust in this Apple Ginger Galette!
If you haven’t made a galette before, it is a much easier alternative to a traditional pie. It has a more rustic look and does not need to be perfect at all. Hooray for delicious apple desserts that don’t have to be time consuming!
I am a huge fan of galettes, both savoury and sweet! In the past, I have shared the recipe for some of my favourite savoury galettes such as Mediterranean Vegetable Galette and Tomato Feta Galette. I have used the same crust to make sweeter tarts using seasonal fruit such as berries and stone fruits. This includes apple galettes too.
Today, however, I am sharing a crust that is dynamite when paired with apples! The gingerbread crust on this Apple Ginger Galette pairs so well with the apples and takes this dessert to the next level, in my opinion! I am a sucker for all things gingerbread this time of year! Gingerbread lattes and gingerbread cookies are consumed regularly this time of year. I am getting my fill of all things gingerbread before the New Year and I am loving every minute of it.
If you, like me, love all things gingerbread, this recipe is a keeper! I also recommend swapping in pears for apples too. Equally delicious, as well!
Don’t let the prep time for this galette fool you into thinking its difficult and time consuming. 30 of those minutes are for the dough to chill in the fridge before rolling it out.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
You may also like:
Apple Ginger Galette
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cubed
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4-5 tablespoons cold water
- 2-3 large apples peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (to sprinkle on crust before baking)
- caramel sauce to serve (optional)
- ice cream to serve (optional)
- Add flour, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Add the cubed butter and continue to pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the molasses and cold water and pulse to form dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and form into a ball. Press down slightly to form a disk and cover in plastic wrap. Transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 13 inch circle. You may need to trim the crust a bit with a knife to form a neater circle but its okay if it is imperfect!
- Transfer the dough to the baking tray and arrange the apple slices in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 inch border around the edges. Fold over the edges of the galette and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle the crust with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the crust has turned a nice golden brown colour. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.