This easy roasted beets recipe is a delicious way to enjoy this sweet, earthy vegetable. This simple cooking method requires only 10 minutes of prep time and produces a great side dish for family dinners.
If you are looking for a delicious and nutritious side dish to add to your meal, this Roasted Beets Recipe is exactly that. Not only are these roasted beets delicious to eat, they make a gorgeous colourful addition to your dinner plate with their deep purple colour.
Beets are nutrient-rich and full of earthy-sweet flavour no matter which way you cook them. But, as with most vegetables, roasting them only draws out more of that sweetness and makes them extra tasty.
This dish is incredibly easy to make too. It requires just 10 minutes of prep time and a small number of ingredients, which you likely have on hand already.
The steps are also incredibly easy. Just peel, chop, and season. Then pop them in your oven and let the oven do the rest! Before you know it, you have a delicious and pretty side dish to add to your meal!
Ingredients need for this Roasted Beets recipe:
- Beets: I used 8 beets in my recipe but you can easily adjust this recipe to produce as many servings as you desire.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper: to taste
Note: Ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Roasted Beets
- Peel and cut: Cut the tops and roots off of each beet and peel them with a vegetable peeler.
- Season: Place the beets in a baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss them to coat them evenly.
- Roast: Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender, flipping halfway through.
That’s it! Easy right?
You can serve them as they are or even jazz them up by adding toppings. Some of my personal favourites are to add fresh herbs and crumbled feta or goat cheese.
Storing leftovers and Reheating
Once cooled, leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
To reheat them, you can warm them in the oven on a baking sheet or even pop them into the microwave.
Leftovers are also great added cold into salads.
Can you freeze roasted beets?
Yes! Roasted beets can be frozen quite easily. Simply add cooled roasted beets into a freezer safe bag and squeeze out excess air. Then pop them in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy them. I have stored them for a few months this way.
What to serve with this Roasted Beets recipe:
This side dish is versatile and goes with a variety of dishes. Some of my favourites include:
- Pork dishes like Pork Chops or Pork Schnitzel.
- Chicken: Crispy Chicken Cutlets, Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with Bacon, Chicken Kofta Kebabs, Roast Chicken Dinner.
- Meatballs: I recently enjoyed them with Salisbury Steak Meatballs and Greek Spanakopita Chicken Meatballs.
- Toss them into a salad like my Swiss Chard Salad with Ancient Grains or Orange Pomegranate Salad with Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing.
I hope you enjoy this simple and delicious side dish as much as I do!
Roasted Beets Recipe
- 8 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the tops and roots off of each beet and peel them with a vegetable peeler.
- Place the beets in a baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss them to coat them evenly.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender, flipping halfway through.
- Serve them as is or add toppings (e.g. feta, goat cheese, and fresh herbs).