Zucchini Pizza Bites are a delicious way to use up fresh zucchini and make a low carb appetizer everyone will love! These fun, easy bites whip up in just 20 minutes using only a handful of ingredients!
If you are not turning your zucchini into pizza flavoured bite-sized treats, what are you waiting for? Zucchini Pizza Bites are a healthy, delicious appetizer or snack that will satisfy that pizza craving without causing you to overindulge in carbs!
Not only are these zucchini pizza bites delicious and healthy, they are also incredibly easy to make. They require just 4 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and just 20 minutes of your time. Before you know it, you have a delicious platter of treats that are ready to be devoured. Since they are pizza flavoured, they really don’t last long!
You don’t have to worry about over indulging on these pizza zucchini bites either. Since they are nutritious (and low calorie), you can enjoy them guilt-free!
This appetizer recipe disappears fast at gatherings! I love adding them to a party spread, giving guests a fresh and keto-friendly option to choose from.
This recipe is great in the summer when zucchini is in abundance but can be made year round. Since zucchini is available year round, it also means you can make this app for pretty much any occasion.
Why you should make Pizza Zucchini Bites:
- They’re delicious!
- You only require 4 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- You only need 20 minutes to make them!
- They make a wonderful appetizer for get-togethers.
- These pizza bites are low carb and keto-friendly.
- This treat is healthy and low calorie too.
- Since you are removing the crust form pizza, this recipe is gluten-free.
Ingredients in Pizza Zucchini Bites (and substitutions)
- Zucchini: I like to use larger zucchini if I can find it but medium sized zucchini can be used as well.
- Pizza sauce: I add a little pizza sauce (or marinara) over each zucchini slice.
- Mozzarella cheese: Deliciously melty mozzarella is the go-to for pizza!
- Mini pepperoni slices: If you can’t find mini pepperoni, you can use regular sized pepperoni that has been cut into quarters. Since the bites are small, I don’t recommend using larger pepperoni slices uncut since they will take over the entire zucchini bite!
- Seasoning: salt and pepper. I use a pizza sauce that is loaded with fresh herbs but if your sauce is a bit plainer, you can also sprinkle your zucchini slices with dried oregano or basil.
Note: Ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Pizza Zucchini Bites
1. Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices and lay them on the baking sheet. Season them with salt and pepper. [Note: If you have time, season them with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes to draw out water. Then blot the zucchini slices with a paper towel. This helps draw out some of the moisture but you can skip this step if you are in a hurry. See the pic below to see how water is drawn out when the zucchini is salted.]
2. Spoon pizza sauce onto each zucchini slice. Top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
3. Bake in the oven for 5-10 or until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is tender. Then broil for about 3 more minutes until the cheese is bubbly (keep an eye on it while it broils so that it does not burn).
That’s it! Pretty easy right?
Can you make these in advance?
These zucchini pizza bites are at their best when freshly baked so if you are serving them up at a get-together, I recommend baking them up just before serving.
That doesn’t mean you have to assemble them last minute though. These zucchini bites can be prepped in advance, covered with plastic food wrap and stored in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
When you are ready, just pop them into your pre-heated oven and bake them according to the recipe directions.
I love this option for parties as the “hard” part of assembling is done. I bake them up in just minutes and voila! They are ready to go.
Storing leftovers and reheating
Once cooled, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days. To reheat them, place the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and heat them at 350F until warmed through.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Other low-carb appetizers you can add to your party spread:
Looking for more zucchini recipes?
Pizza Zucchini Bites
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 medium)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup mini pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices and lay them on the baking sheet. Season them with salt and pepper. [Note: If you have time, season them with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes to draw out water. Then blot the zucchini slices with a paper towel. This helps draw out some of the moisture but you can skip this step if you are in a hurry.]
- Spoon pizza sauce onto each zucchini slice. Top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 or until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is tender. Then broil for about 3 more minutes until the cheese is bubbly (keep an eye on it while it broils so that it does not burn).