This Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato recipe is as easy as it gets and produces the most delicious, crispy-skinned baked sweet potatoes. If you have ever wondered how to cook a sweet potato in the air fryer, you’ll be glad to know it requires just 3 ingredients and a few minutes of hands-on time!
If you are looking for an easy side dish to serve with dinner, you have come to the right place! It really couldn’t get any easier than a baked potato. But when that baked potato is a delicious sweet potato and made in an air fryer, it is not only delicious, it’s also much faster to make than most side dishes!
This Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato recipe is one that we make often in our home. It’s nutritious and easy to do, requiring just 5 minutes of hands on time. And that’s being generous!
Oh, and did I mention that this recipe only requires 3 ingredients?
Seriously, learning how to make sweet potatoes in the air fryer is a cinch. It also produces perfectly crispy-skinned potatoes with a fluffy interior. Just add a pat of butter and some fresh herbs and you have a delicious side dish that just might end up stealing the show from your main entree!
Why you should make Baked Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
- This recipe is incredibly easy to do!
- It requires only 5 minutes of hands on time (and that is being generous)!
- The Air Fryer does all of the work. Just set the time and let it work its magic! No baby sitting required.
- Cooking in an air fryer is faster than heating up a whole oven.
- The sweet potatoes get a nice crispy skin and soft interior.
3 ingredients needed to make Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
This recipe really does come down to 3 ingredients and an air fryer! This is all you need:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
How to cook a Sweet Potato in the air fryer
- Prep the sweet potatoes: Wash the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times each.
- Season the potatoes: Drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil and rub so that they are well coated. Season them with salt.
- Air fry: Cook the sweet potatoes in a preheated air fryer at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until they feel fork-tender (you can adjust the cook time depending on the size of your potatoes. When they are easily pierced with a fork, they are ready.)
Toppings for baked sweet potatoes
There are so many options for topping sweet potatoes. You can keep things simple for a side dish or go all-out and load up those sweet potatoes for a full-on meal! Some of my favourite topping ideas are listed below.
Simple toppings for a side dish:
- Simple and Delish: a pat of butter and fresh herbs fresh herbs (chives, dill, and parsley are my favourites)
- Fully Loaded: sour cream, crumbled bacon, and chives (loaded baked sweet potatoes)
- Sweet: brown sugar, cinnamon and butter (it’s like a dessert side dish!)
- Broc & Cheese: broccoli and cheese (shredded cheddar or even queso dip)
- Greek style: feta, sliced olives, chopped cucumber, tomatoes and onions, and dried oregano (tzatziki is also great, drizzled on top!)
Stuffed sweet potato dinner ideas:
- Taco: Taco meat, sour cream, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, black beans, green onion
- Pulled Pork: Pulled pork, barbecue sauce
- BELT: Bacon, fried or scrambled egg, lettuce, and tomato
- Sloppy Joe: Sloppy joe meat, sour cream, chives
- Healthy & Vegan: Roasted chickpeas, sauteed spinach and tahini sauce
- Guac: Guacamole, black beans, chopped tomatoes, and cilantro
However you decide to top your sweet potato, it’s sure to be delicious!
Storing leftovers and reheating
If you are meal prepping these sweet potatoes or just have leftovers from dinner, you can store the leftover, cooled sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
To reheat the sweet potatoes, place them back in the air fryer and heat them at 350F for about 3 minutes or until heated through (will depend on how big the potatoes are and your specific air fryer).
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
P.S. If you are able to, I highly recommend adding some extra sweet potatoes in your air fryer and using the cooked sweet potatoes to make my Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies! So good!
You may also like these other sweet potato recipes:
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400F.
- Meanwhile, wash the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times each.
- Drizzle them with olive oil and rub so that they are well coated. Season them with salt.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the air fryer for 25-30 minutes or until they feel fork-tender (you can adjust the cook time depending on the size of your potatoes. When they are easily pierced with a fork, they are ready.)
- Make a slit on the top of each sweet potato and open them up (carefully, as they will be hot). Serve with a pat of butter and sprinkle of salt, pepper and fresh chives (or your own favourite toppings).
Note: Metric ingredient measurements are provided as a courtesy using a third-party calculator and are rounded to the nearest unit. The recipes provided on this site have not been tested with metric measurements and their accuracy cannot be verified.
The nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and is an estimate only. Accurate nutritional facts will vary based on the particular brands used, portion sizes, measurement accuracy and more.