These Sweet Potato Hash Browns are easy to make and the perfect addition to a delicious breakfast plate! Simple ingredients, very little prep work, and so much yummy flavour!
We love a good potato hash brown in this house but these sweet potato hash browns are a welcome break from the ordinary. Sweet potatoes are a great way to add more nutrients to your meals and offer so much flavour too. These hash browns come together in no time at all and are made with ingredients you likely already have on hand. I used just 1 large sweet potato for this recipe and it made 8 hash browns.
Really, shredding the sweet potato is the most “difficult” part of this recipe and its not difficult at all. I use my food processor with the shredding attachment and it literally was shredded in just seconds but if you don’t have one, you can do it easily using a box grater too.
These hash browns are perfect for breakfast although we have had them as sides for lunch and dinner meals too. Add some eggs, bacon or any other breakfast favourites and you have yourself a delicious, nutritious breakfast the whole family will love!
Since sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, I feel much better making these hash browns. Since they are fried, though, I am not sure I would classify them as healthy. My next goal is to try these babies up in an air fryer to see how they turn out. I will let you know when I give it a go but to be honest, fried hash browns are always more delicious and life is about balance, right?
How to make Sweet Potato Hash Browns
To make this recipe, you will need:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, paprika, and salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
Peel the sweet potato. Using a box grater or a food processor with the grater attachment in place, shred the sweet potato. Pat it dry using a paper towel.
Transfer the shredded sweet potato to a large bowl and stir in the flour, egg and seasonings. Form the mixture into hash brown patties.
Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the hash brown patties in small batches until they are golden and crispy (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and repeat with remaining batches.
That’s it! It usually takes me just 2 batches to cook them (4 at a time in a large pan) but depending on the size of your pan, you may need to adjust so as not to overcrowd the pan.
Tips for making sweet potato hash browns
- Shred the sweet potato in a food processor if you have one to save time.
- Ensure the oil is heated before frying.
- Use a cooking oil with a high smoke point (e.g. vegetable oil) for frying.
- Place fried fritters on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb some of the excess oil.
- You can easily double this recipe or triple it.
- This recipe works well for meal prep- see storing tips below.
Storing and reheating
These fritters are best eaten fresh but you can make them in advance or reheat leftovers for future meals.
- Store cooled fritters in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Reheat them in the oven or an air fryer to ensure they stay as crispy as possible. I personally find the air fryer makes them crisp up again the best but an oven is the next best thing.
- You can also freeze fritters in a freezer safe container. Use parchment to separate layers to avoid sticking.
What to serve sweet potato hash browns with
These babies are perfect with eggs and bacon for a twist on a traditional breakfast plate. Additionally, I love to serve these with the following:
- Baked Avocado Eggs or my Baked Ricotta Spinach Eggs for a super nutritious start to the day!
- Zucchini Egg Nests. Again, super nutritious and so yummy!
- Sausage, Squash and Spinach Breakfast Bake
- A delicious quiche such as my Crustless Asparagus & Feta Quiche, Zucchini & Feta Quiche or Bacon & Leek Quiche
- Spanakopita Egg Cups or Ham, Cheese & Spinach Egg Cups. These egg cups can be meal prepped as can the sweet potato hash browns so these are great to heat up and eat on a busy morning!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Homemade Tater Tots
Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies
Sweet Potato Bread
Healthy Sweet Potato Waffles
Sweet Potato Wedges with Spicy Honey Mustard Dip
Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 1 sweet potato large
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- Peel the sweet potato. Using a box grater or a food processor with the grater attachment in place, shred the sweet potato. Pat it dry using a paper towel.
- Transfer the shredded sweet potato to a large bowl and stir in the flour, egg and seasonings. Form the mixture into hash brown patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the hash brown patties in small batches until they are golden and crispy (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and repeat with remaining batches.
Hey there, I’m guessing we add the egg when we add the flour? I’m planning on making them this weekend so I just wanted to make sure, they sound amazing!
Hi Kylie! You are correct. I just fixed the recipe card to include this. 🙂
I made it today and it was delicious!! Will make again for sure. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Thank you so much!
Could I put these in the air fryer?
I haven’t tried with this recipe but I am sure that you can. I make zucchini fritters in my air fryer and would imagine these would be similar.
Can this be done Gluten Free ?
Hi Paulette! I definitely think you can use a gluten free flour to replace the regular flour. They should turn out wonderfully 🙂