This Blueberry Basil Flatbread is topped with fresh blueberries, ricotta, goat cheese, and basil and drizzled with honey! It can made from start to finish in just 30 minutes (including the crust)!
I wasn’t sure how to categorize this flatbread. Is it an app? Dessert? Healthy snack? Lunch? It’s hard to say because it works for all of those, in my opinion. Heck, its breakfast too if you like!
What I do know is that it is delicious, healthy and easy to do! And those are things that for me, are on the top of my look-fors when I make a meal!
Its no secret that I have a love of berries that runs deep and blueberries are no exception. On our last grocery store visit, I picked up several clamshells (yup, multiple). They were absolutely perfect and plump and calling my name. They were also on sale, and so I went a bit overboard.
I knew I was going to get my fill of fresh berries and have plenty left over to add to smoothies. I also knew I was going to do something special with them.
Enter flatbread. And boy am I glad it entered my life today. I am one happy camper. Plump bluebs, tangy goat cheese, aromatic basil, and a drizzle of honey to top it all off. It has elements of a sweet and savoury flatbread all rolled into one. And it works so well!
This healthy flatbread starts with a healthy crust
While you can easily use your favourite pizza dough or even naan bread for this flatbread and save yourself a step, the flatbread dough is ridiculously easy and takes just minutes to put together. Literally, just minutes. The dough is my simple Greek yogurt flatbread dough which I prefer to use for the added protein. Its healthy and I justify going in for more slices because of that. Ha!
To make the dough, you’ll need:
- baking soda
- baking powder
- Greek yogurt
That’s it. No yeast. No waiting for it rise. None of that. All you do is mix the dry ingredients and add the yogurt. Using a wooden spoon, mix it all to create a shaggy dough. Then transfer it to a well floured surface and sprinkle with more flour as you fold it and work it into a ball.
At this point it is ready to shape into a rectangle and be dressed up with blueberries!
Toppings for this Blueberry Basil Flatbread
Blueberries and basil. Just kidding. Well not really, those are the star ingredients but there is a bit more to this than that!
To top the flatbread I use:
- goat cheese
- salt and pepper
Once the flatbread dough is formed into its shape, I spread ricotta cheese over it to form the base. Then I season it generously with salt and pepper. On top of the ricotta base, I sprinkle the blueberries and goat cheese and then into the oven it goes to bake up until the blueberries are ready to burst.
A quick drizzle of honey takes this bread over the top! Much needed and highly recommend you don’t skip this step!
Hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it..as an app, or lunch, or snack..or any and all of the above! Bon appetit!
You may also like:
Blueberry Basil Flatbread
For the Greek yogurt flatbread crust
- 1 1/4 cup flour + more to roll out
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (or any plain, unsweetened yogurt)
For the Toppings
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the flatbread crust, mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the yogurt and use a wooden spoon to mix well. The dough will be shaggy and sticky. Transfer to a well floured surface and sprinkle with some flour. Fold the dough in on itself a few times and then form into a ball. Place the ball onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet and pressing down with your hands, shape it into a rectangle about 1/4″ thick.
- Spoon ricotta over the flatbread and spread it out, leaving a border around the flatbread. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the blueberries and goat cheese over top. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown and the blueberries are beginning to burst.
- Sprinkle the flatbread with the basil and drizzle with honey.