The classic Gin & Tonic gets an upgrade with the addition of a delicious blueberry simple syrup. Blueberry Gin & Tonic is the perfect way to cool off on a hot day!
At long last, warmer weather is upon us and we can finally basque in the sunshine! Inevitably, this means more time on the patio and in our home, that sometimes means enjoying a nice cocktail while taking in the views in our backyard.
While I tend to gravitate towards a nice chilled glass of wine, I like to mix it up every now and then and break out a nice cocktail recipe to keep us on our toes. And when it comes to cocktails, sweet, fruity concoctions tend to be my preference!
Why, with all that sunshine, lovely gardens and produce everywhere, why wouldn’t I want to take some plump little berries and pop them into my glass?
The beauty of this little concoctions, though, is that it really can be done any time of year. Frozen berries will do in a pinch. To be honest, I actually prefer to use them to make the simple syrup as they tend to give off more colour and I like the way it looks!
What you’ll need to make Blueberry Gin & Tonic
To make this fruity g & t, you will need:
- tonic water
Those are the essentials. I fruity cocktail needs a garnish though. It begs for it, really. So for garnish, I use:
- lemon slice
- fresh blueberries
- sprig of rosemary (can also use thyme, or mint)
Making your Blueberry Cocktail
To start, you should make your blueberry simple syrup. This step can actually be done in advance and stored in your fridge.
To make the syrup, add 1/2 cup each of blueberries and sugar to a saucepan with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer and let it cook until the sugar has dissolved. Strain the liquid and let it cool completely before using it. Once it is cooled, you can transfer it to a jar and store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
For each cocktail, you use 2 tablespoons of blueberry simple syrup, 2 ounces of gin, 5 ounces of tonic water and stir it all together. Add ice and garnishes and enjoy!
You may also like:
Blueberry Gin & Tonic
- 2 tablespoons blueberry simple syrup* (see below for recipe)
- 2 ounces gin
- 5 ounces tonic water
- slice of lemon for garnish
- blueberries for garnish
- 1 sprig rosemary , for garnish (optional)
Blueberry simple syrup
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, add all of the ingredients for the blueberry syrup. Simmer over medium heat for a couple of minutes,until sugar dissolves. Strain and let cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of syrup into a cup, add the gin and tonic water and stir to combine. Add ice, fresh blueberries, lemon slice and rosemary for garnish.