Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins that are super fluffy, moist and, best of all, made with wholesome ingredients! Easy to make in just one bowl!
Chocolate is of great importance in this house. While I don’t have much of a sweet tooth (although the hubby more than makes up for it), when chocolate is involved, I find it very hard to resist! There is just something about chocolate that is so darn irresistible.
That’s why these chocolate banana muffins pack a double dose of chocolatey goodness! I mean, why not?
Despite their chocolatey flavour, these muffins are made with wholesome ingredients. There is no refined sugar in these too as I opt to use honey or maple syrup.
Healthier substitutions to make Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
You can have your (healthy) cake and eat it too with this healthified recipe. There are a few things that I do to make these more wholesome and they are easy substitutions you can make too without sacrificing flavour.
- replace sugar with honey or maple syrup
- swap out regular flour for oat flour or whole wheat
- replace butter with coconut oil
- use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate
These are all simple swaps that result in a delicious muffin that you can feel good about eating!
In addition to these substitutions, these muffins can be made vegan and gluten free too. Using coconut oil helps make these vegan friendly, but you can easily swap out eggs and milk with vegan-friendly flax eggs (check the note section of the recipe for how to make flax eggs). You can also swap in any type of milk including cocounut, almond or oat milk.
To make these gluten-free, use oat flour or even a gluten-free flour mix.
I hope you give these muffins a try and enjoy them as much as we do!
You may also like:
Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 2 eggs, whisked (substitute flax eggs instead for a vegan option. See notes below)
- 2 bananas mushed with a fork
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour / whole wheat flour/all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F and add muffin liners to a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix eggs, bananas, coconut oil, honey, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add flour and cocoa powder and stir together until well incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and fold into the mixture. Spoon batter into muffin liners.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 20 minutes. Gently remove muffins from tin and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.