This Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo is a delicious lightened up Alfredo. Made without heavy cream, this lightened up sauce still manages to be creamy and decadent!
Alfredo sauce has always been my weakness! I am naturally drawn to all things with a creamy texture and so this doesn’t come as a shock to anyone who knows me. While Alfredo is probably one of my favourite sauces, I don’t indulge in it as often as I’d like to at restaurants. While I love the creamy, decadent taste, I’m put off a bit by just how much butter and cream goes into making a rich sauce.
Enter homemade version!
I love making lightened up versions of my favourite dishes (no surprise there)! This Alfredo is definitely one of my favourite lightened up sauces for sure.
I use the term Alfredo lightly here. As it’s not made with a stick of butter or heavy cream, I hesitated label this an Alfredo sauce as die-hards might be offended. Oh well, I am calling it just that because that is the sauce that inspired this dish! Except, of course, by the addition of roasted red peppers.
Why add roasted red peppers? Flavour of course! While I am not a huge fan of most peppers, when they are roasted they are absolutely irresistible! Roasted peppers brings out their natural sweetness and enhances their flavour.
You can easily roast your own peppers and use them in this sauce but in the interest of making this a super-easy weeknight dinner, I chose to use jarred peppers instead. Why not keep things a bit easier?
Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo- your way!
Feel free to switch things up and make this dish your own! Below are a few ways we like to use this sauce in different ways.
I often serve Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo with spaghetti or other long noodles like linguine or fettuccine. I love twirling the noodles around my fork as I eat them. Feel free to change things up with any pasta you prefer! Penne and bowtie pasta work well here too!
The recipe below is for a simple pasta dish but you can easily enhance this dish by adding your favourite veggies and protein. My husband absolutely loves this pasta tossed with broccoli and chicken but the possibilities are endless!
You may also like:
Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo
- 300 g spaghetti
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (1 jar, 340ml or 11.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, drain roasted peppers and remove as much char as you can. Add the peppers to a food processor and puree.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add the flour and whisk to create a roux. Add the milk, pureed peppers, and Parmesan cheese. Continue to whisk until it begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add the red pepper sauce to the pot and stir to coat pasta. Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese on top.