These homemade Strawberry Scones are perfectly sweetened, flaky and buttery! These easy to make scones pack a fresh, berry flavour and pairs so perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea! I’m in love!
Really and truly, I am so in love with this recipe for scones! They are so bright and light with their fresh berry taste! I simply adore them with a cup of coffee and who can blame me?
Scones are an easy recipe for even a novice baker. I particularly love to make scones and biscuits of any kind because using my food processor makes them incredibly easy! Like, super easy! Although don’t be scared away if you do not have a food processor. You can still make these without one!
Although I wouldn’t classify these Strawberry Scones as healthy, I did try to make a few swaps to a traditional recipe to make them a bit lighter than what is typical.
There is no cream in this recipe, for one. Instead, I replaced the cream with milk and it works just fine. I also added in some Greek yogurt too for added protein. I do these things to justify eating more than one serving. #sorrynotsorry! But truly, why not make a few easy swaps that you can feel good about? I rarely have cream on hand and much prefer using milk or yogurt in its place where I can.
Also, the addition of strawberries to this traditional scone base makes me feel a bit better about eating more than my fair share! Strawberries are rich in antioxidants and vitamins! That’s definitely something you can feel good about!
Now lets ignore the fact that these lovely, flaky bites also include a good portion of butter and sugar and live in ignorant bliss! Just kidding! Life is for enjoying and there is nothing wrong with indulging in a sweet treat from time to time! Now excuse me while I go stuff my face!
P.S. I ate 2 scones as I was typing this and I have no regrets!
For other great pairings with your coffee, you may also like:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vanilla flavoured Greek Yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pulse a few time to mix it thoroughly. Add the butter and pulse until it forms a coarse meal. (If you do not have a food processor, simply stir the dry ingredients in a large bowl and use a pastry cutter or two butter knives to work the butter in until it forms a coarse meal.)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and yogurt together. Add it to the flour mixture and pulse until it combines into a wet but crumbly dough.
- Transfer everything onto a clean, floured surface. It will be clumpy at this point. Sprinkle the chopped strawberries over the crumbled dough. Using your hands, work the dough to help bring it together and shape it into a 8 inch disc.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and transfer onto the baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between wedges. Brush each scone with milk and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until the scones begin to turn a nice golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the confectioners sugar and milk. Stir to form the glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the scones.