This incredibly simple, flavourful recipe uses only a few ingredients and is super easy to create, making it a fabulous side dish option for your dinner! These deliciously herby sweet potatoes are smothered in fresh pesto and sprinkled with parmesan. You can never go wrong with more cheese, right? The more cheese, the better, I say! Always.
Sometimes dishes are put together at the last minute with whatever you have on hand at the time. You look into your fridge and pantry, searching for something to make and before you know it, you are combining ingredients and creating something new based on what you have on hand. Every so often you make something that is not bad at all. And then there are times when you stumble on something amazing. This is one of those dishes for us!
The other day, we were about to begin making dinner and looking for a good side dish to go with our chicken. Looking in the fridge we noticed we had some pesto we had made too much of for dinner the night before. While debating making a pesto pasta dish for a second night in a row (nothing wrong with that, I say!) I decided to put it to use with the sweet potatoes that were also in need of being used up soon. Boy am I glad that I did that, because WOW!
I am a sucker for fresh pesto! I absolutely love the taste of fresh herbs – I mean, I did need name the site Herbs and Flour, afterall! You can’t beat the fresh taste of basil and paired with pasta or, in this case, sweet potatoes. It adds so much flavour to a dish and instantly brightens up an otherwise bland ingredient! While sweet potatoes are not bland, the addition of pesto makes them SO MUCH BETTER! You really, can’t go wrong!
So happy we stumbled onto this recipe! You can use store bought pesto if you like, but homemade is always better. f you are looking for an easy homemade pesto recipe, click here.
You may also like:
Roasted Pesto Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into medallions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup pesto (homemade or store bought)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking dish with olive oil.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into medallions.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil and pesto in a bowl. Add the sweet potato medallions and toss to coat them evenly.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes in the baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced by a fork.