Simple, fresh flavours combined together and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Caprese Salad uses humble ingredients to make something so delicious!
We love a good salad in this house. Like really love them. We are no strangers to tossing all sorts of ingredients and pretty much anything we have on hand into a bowl and tossing it together with a good homemade salad dressing. We love fresh tasting ingredients and using lots of vegetables and fruit in our meals so this is no surprise. Of all the salads, one of my absolute favourites is the Caprese Salad!
No tossing required here and only a small number of ingredients are used. Its one of the simplest salads to make with no actual salad dressing to blend before hand. Just layer ingredients and drizzle with oil (olive) and vinegar (balsamic). It can’t get any easier! In this case, simple is best and using a few good quality ingredients makes all the difference in the world!
I have a love affair with tomatoes, fresh herbs (no surprise here), and cheese! All the cheese! Seriously, whats not to love with these ingredients? Simple, fresh flavours combined together and drizzled with good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I love how such simple, humble ingredients combine together to make something so delicious!
A good quality olive oil is key in this salad, and all Mediterranean inspired dishes, for that matter! We go through a lot of olive oil in our house. While we enjoy meals inspired from cuisines all around the globe, my background is Greek and Mediterranean cuisine uses lots of olive oil! Get your hands on a good quality olive oil as it really does make all the difference in the world!
I have posted the recipe for a simple Caprese Salad below. Hope you try it and love it as much as I do!
Other Caprese Recipes
Caprese Pasta Bake
Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
Peach Caprese Salad
Caprese Eggs Benedict
Caprese Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 fresh mozzarella balls (about 400g)
- 3-4 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- coarse salt and pepper
- drizzle of good quality olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Begin my slicing tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/4″ slices. Layer them on your serving platter, alternating between tomato, mozzarella and fresh basil leaves.
- Before serving, sprinkle the salad with salt and pepper. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar if desired (be careful not to drizzle too generously as it will overpower the simple, fresh flavours).