A little sweet, a little spicy, a whole lot of flavour! This Sweet Chili Sauce can be used as a dressing, dipping sauce, or marinade. It is easy to make and so versatile.
You can’t beat a delicious sauce can you. We are sauce lovers here and find them essential to most meals. This sweet chili sauce is one of our beloved sauces as it is so versatile.
We have used it tossed with noodles in a stir fry, added it to salad dressings for extra flavour, and used it as a dipping sauce too. There is nothing like dunking a delicious spring roll into this sauce. Easily our favourite!
The best part is, it is incredibly easy to make and can be brought together in just minutes. Super handy when we are looking for a last minute dipping sauce!
What you need to make Sweet Chili Sauce
The good news is you don’t need much and can make it with pantry-stable ingredients! If you are a fan of asian cooking, you probably already have everything you need!
To make this, you will need:
- rice vinegar
- chili sauce (sambal oelek)
That is literally all you need to make this sauce! 4 ingredients (and water) and you have an awesome sauce you can use in so many ways!
How to make this sauce
The whole process takes less than 10 minutes, really. To start, you add the rice vinegar, water, and sugar in a saucepan and cook it until the sugar dissolves, stirring often. Then you add the chili sauce and cornstarch slurry and simmer it for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. That’s it!
No need for any jarred sauce full of preservatives! Its so simple to make this homemade sauce and it is so much better than anything out of a jar!
You may also like:
Teriyaki Shrimp and Asparagus
Sweet Citrus Stir Fry
Baked Orange Chicken
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (sambal oelek)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan add the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Lower the temperature to medium-low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add the chili sauce and stir to incorporate.
- In a small bowl or cup, mix the cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Add it to the sauce and stir until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool. Sauce will thicken more as it cools. If it gets too thick, thin out with water.