Whipped feta dip is a quick and easy recipe that can be made in less than 5 minutes! This dip, based on Greek Tirosalata dip, uses only a handful of ingredients and can be topped any way you like for the perfect mezze!
If you love feta cheese, you have come to the right place! Not only is this Whipped Feta Dip one of the best ways to celebrate this delicious Greek cheese, it is also an incredibly easy recipe to make!
Only 4 ingredients are used in this recipe and they are likely ones you have on hand right now. At least, these are always things we have on hand in our home, so you can bet we make this dip whenever the craving strikes.
This dip is great served along with pita wedges, crostini, crackers, and veggie sticks. I love to include it in my mezze spreads (for tips on how to create the perfect mezze platter, be sure to check out my post and tips in Vegetarian Mezze Platter). It can also be used as a spread, added onto burgers (so good), pita wraps, and so much more!
This recipe is inspired by Greek tirosalata dip except that tirosalata usually includes Greek yogurt and I have opted to use cream cheese instead. Cream cheese adds to the creamy texture and cuts the saltiness of the feta without adding a sour element like yogurt does. I personally find it makes for a more delicious dip.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get dipping!
Ingredients in Whipped Feta dip
See the recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full directions.
- Feta: Use a good quality Greek feta made with sheep’s milk or with a combination of sheep and goat milk.
- Cream cheese: This adds creaminess to the dip and cuts the saltiness of the feta. If you do not like cream cheese, you can substitute ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt.
- Olive oil: use a quality olive oil. Since this recipe uses only 4 ingredients, you want to ensure the best flavour by using quality products.
- Lemon Zest: Adds a bright, fresh zing to this dip. While I don’t include much in my recipe, you can easily increase it to your own liking.
How to make Whipped Feta Dip
- Incorporate cheese and lemon zest: Add feta, cream cheese, and lemon zest and puree for a minute.
- Add olive oil: With the food processor running, add olive oil through the spout in a steady drizzle.
- Puree until smooth: Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to process until it is smooth.
- Serve: Transfer to a serving bowl and top with a drizzle of olive oil or desired toppings (See “Toppings For Whipped Feta” section in the post above for other options.)
Tips for making the best Whipped Feta
- Use good quality feta. This is a whipped feta dip recipe, after all, and the pronounced flavour is, you guessed it, feta! It’s important to use a good quality feta with the best taste and creamy texture. Cheap, overly salty feta won’t cut it here.
- Soften your cream cheese. As the goal is to end up with an ultra smooth dip, its important to soften your cream cheese so that it doesn’t end up lumpy.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerated whipped feta will become more firm and will be hard to dip into. When you are ready to serve, allow for some time to let the whipped feta to come to room temperature.
- Adjust to your liking. While this recipe works out the way I like it, different ingredients (not to mention different taste preferences) may mean you need to tweak the recipe a bit. If the recipe is too thick, add more olive oil or even a teaspoon of water to thin it out. If your feta was too salty, add more cream cheese.
Toppings for Whipped Feta
You can serve whipped feta as is, but adding a little extra flavour through toppings is always a good idea, in my opinion. You can keep things simple with just a drizzle of olive oil, or take the flavours up a notch with a super tasty, flavourful topping. Possible toppings include:
- A drizzle of olive oil and some fresh herbs or chili pepper flakes.
- A drizzle of honey (sweet or even hot honey), fresh herbs, and some chopped nuts or seeds.
- Roasted Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (this is what I did)
- Marinated olives.
- Caramelized onions.
- Honey and fresh fruit (e.g. peach slices, apple slices, figs)
What to serve with Whipped Feta
- pita bread
- veggie sticks (cucumber, carrots, celery, grape tomatoes)
- fresh bread
It is also great as a spread on:
- pita wraps
- flatbreads and pizzas
Can you make Whipped Feta in advance
Whipped feta can be made in advance, making it a great appetizer for parties! You can whip up the dip and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
Since it is comprised of dairy, whipped feta should be stored in the refrigerator. Cold whipped feta will firm up, so when you are ready to enjoy it, be sure to leave it out for a bit so it can come to room temperature. This will make it easy to spread again. It can be stored in the fridge for a few days.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Other dips and mezze recipes you may like:
Tirokafteri (Spicy Greek Feta Dip)
Keftedakia – Greek Meatballs
Spanakopitakia (Spinach and Feta Filo Triangles)
- 200 grams feta (1 1/3 cups crumbled)
- 125 grams cream cheese room temperature (4 oz or 1/2 brick of cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
Optional Topping: Roasted Grape Tomatoes (see Section on "Toppings For Whipped Feta" for more options in the post above)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (basil or thyme work well)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add feta, cream cheese, and lemon zest and puree for a minute.
- With the food processor running, add olive oil through the spout in a steady drizzle.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to process until it is smooth. *
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with a drizzle of olive oil or desired toppings
Optional Topping: Roasted Grape Tomatoes (step by step photos available here: Roasted Cherry (or Grape) Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a casserole dish, add all ingredients and toss together. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes.