These Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are absolute perfection! Fluffy, moist cupcakes topped with a smooth, delicious cream cheese frosting! YUM!
Saint Patrick’s Day is quickly approaching and these cupcakes will definitely be making an appearance! I have been making these cupcakes for over a decade now for St. Patty’s day as well as other occasions (because, YUM!) One year, I did not bring these to my bestie’s St. Patty’s Day get-together and boy did I disappoint some peeps!
While I am not much of a beer drinker, I do like Guinness beer! But don’t worry if you are not a huge fan! There is plenty of chocolate and cream cheese frosting to please your taste buds! I have yet to meet anyone who did not want to go in for seconds!
How to make the perfect Chocolate Guinness Cupcake
Making the best Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes is pretty darn easy with this recipe. When I first set out to make Guinness cupcakes I scoured the web to find recipes to try, never quite finding one that I loved. While they were not bad, per se, there was something that was just a little off about them. In some cases the cupcakes rose too much forming weird pointy tops. Other recipes were too runny making them burn on the outside while the centers were still uncooked.
I played around with recipes and ingredients for quite some time before creating this one. I love this recipe for a number of reasons. First, it has never failed me. The cupcakes come out perfectly every time I make them. Moist, fluffy, and delicious! Secondly, it is all made in one bowl (my stand mixer bowl), so clean up is waaay easier!
While this recipe is pretty easy to make, here is the one tip that is essential to making the perfect cupcake:
- Make sure your butter and cream cheese are completely softened!
Softened butter is essential to ensuring you can perfectly cream it with the sugars for the cupcake batter! If it is still a bit too hard, it won’t break down and become smooth!
Also, softened butter and cream cheese are a MUST for making a smooth frosting! The last thing you want is lumps in your frosting!
You may also like:
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
3/4 cup Guinness beer
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup flour
- For the frosting:
1 brick of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and Greek yogurt and beat to combine.
- With the mixer running on low, add the Guinness slowly. Once it is incorporated, add the baking soda and cocoa powder and incorporate well. Finally, add the flour and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed well.
- Spoon batter into the muffin liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and confectioner’s sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add as much milk as needed to give it a nice consistency. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.