These Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are the best pumpkin cupcakes I have ever had! They are soft, moist and have the perfect pumpkin spice flavor.
It is pumpkin season and with Thanksgiving around the corner, I am excited to share with you my favorite pumpkin cupcake recipe! It is seriously the best pumpkin cupcake I have had – fluffy and perfectly pumpkin-y!
We typically serve up pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving but this year I am switching things up with these cupcakes and I know that they will be a welcome treat! I mean, who doesn’t love cupcakes? Topping them with cream cheese frosting (hands down my favorite frosting) makes them irresistible, in my opinion.
Did I mention how easy this recipe is? It really is pretty simple to whip up so if you are a novice baker, don’t worry, this recipe is definitely one you can tackle!
Why you should make these pumpkin cupcakes
- Pumpkin treats are absolute perfection
- these cupcakes have a super soft crumb
- they are easy to make
- these cupcakes are perfect for Thanksgiving, Hallowe’en or any Fall event!
- they taste amazing
Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe
The cupcakes themselves are pretty easy to make and don’t require any fancy equipment. I used a stand mixer but a hand mixer or even a bowl with a whisk will do the job! They are also pretty healthy and get their moisture from the pumpkin puree, Greek yogurt, and a bit of oil. They help keep these cupcakes light and fluffy too!
To make these cupcakes, it comes down to a few simple steps:
- Mix the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add granulated and brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt and mix to blend together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together. In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, blend together pumpkin puree, egg, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Bake! Divide batter into prepared cupcake liners and bake for 24-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
The cream cheese frosting is decadent and really compliments the pumpkin cupcake. The recipe for frosting produces enough for 18 cupcakes depending on how heavily you like to frost your cupcakes.
Making the frosting is pretty simple.
- Add cream cheese, butter, and icing sugar to a food processor with the paddle attachment. Blend on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. You can also use a hand mixer to do this. That is pretty much it!
- If your frosting is too thick, add a little milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I personally didn’t add any milk this time but I have in the past.
I also drizzled these cupcakes with some caramel sauce for added decadence! Totally optional but highly recommended!
Tips for making the best Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Tip #1: Don’t overmix your batter. Typical of all cake and muffin batters, be careful not to overmix. Mix the batter until everything is combined and then leave it alone. Overmixing will produce a dense cake.
Tip #2: Use a toothpick to test for doneness. The best way to ensure your cupcake is baked through is by inserting a toothpick or wooden skewer into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is baked.
Tip #3: Make sure your cupcakes are fully cooled before frosting. If they are still warm, the cream cheese frosting will melt and soften.
How to store pumpkin cupcakes
Since they are frosted with cream cheese frosting, these cupcakes should be stored in the fridge. Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature after they have cooled completely.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen as well. To freeze unfrosted cupcakes, allow them to cool completely and then place them in a freezer safe bag. When you are ready to enjoy them, allow them to thaw for 24 hours. You can then make the cream cheese frosting and frost them.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Wondering what else to do with that can of pumpkin puree? You may also like:
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Leave a rating and/or comment below to let me know what you think!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt (can sub sour cream or a dairy free yogurt)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting (produces enough frosting for 18 cupcakes)
- 250 g cream cheese softened (8oz or 1 brick)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar or confectioners sugar)
- caramel sauce for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the sugars, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt and mix to blend together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, blend together the pumpkin puree, egg, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Divide batter into the prepared cupcake liners and bake for 24-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, make the frosting by adding the cream cheese, butter, and icing sugar to a food processor with the paddle attachment. Blend on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick, add a little milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. [Note: the frosting recipe produces enough frosting for 18 cupcakes, depending on how heavily you frost your cupcakes].
- Frost cupcakes. [Optional: Drizzle some caramel topping on top of the frosting.]