This moist and tender Triple Berry Cake is topped with a luscious Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. It is easy to make and perfect for any summertime celebration!
As far as cake recipes go, this one is pretty stellar! Its soft and moist and packed with berries. Topped with a luscious lemony cream cheese frosting, this dessert is heaven on a plate!
I enjoy a slice of cake much like the rest of the world. But generally speaking, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. My mind doesn’t go there when I am feeling peckish. I tend to lean towards salty (and even bland) kind of snacks on those occasions.
While I love a good slice of cake for a special occasion and am definitely known to bake quite a bit (being the wife of a sweet-lover does that to you), I rarely go in for seconds. My husband gets all the cake he wants with no competition from me.
That is not the case with this cake. Aside from chocolate anything, this triple berry cake is one of those treats that I just can’t help but want more of!
Maybe its the cream cheese frosting. It probably has a lot to do with it. Maybe its the lemon. I do like my citrus. But this cake has me coming back from more every time I make it.
Sorry, hubs, but this one is not all yours! Sharing is caring and fair is fair.
I made this specific cake for our anniversary this year. It was the perfect end to a wonderful evening.
Making this Triple Berry Cake
Before I dive into the simple steps of how to make this cake and what you’ll need, let me start by telling you this: only 1 bowl is needed to make this cake (the bowl of your stand mixer). Easy recipe and easy clean up, you guys! My goal in almost all my recipes because who wants to deal with a kitchen that looks like its been through a hurricane when its all said and done? Not this girl.
Anyways, if you have berries on hand, the rest of the ingredients are likely things you already have in your pantry!
The list of ingredients for the cake are below:
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- lemon (juice and zest) (optional)
- berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
Lemon juice and zest aren’t necessary so if you want to leave them out, you can. I like to add them in for a little extra lemony flavour.
I add a 1/2 cup of each berry to the cake batter, but you can easily adjust this to your own preferences. You can also swap out a berry for strawberries too if that is what you have on hand! Or just stick with one type of berry. You really can’t go wrong!
Making Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is easily my favourite type of frosting ever! The subtle lemon flavour in this version makes it even better!
To make the frosting you will need:
- cream cheese
- icing sugar (aka powdered sugar or confectioners sugar)
- lemon juice
For more lemon flavour, you can also sub the juice for lemon extract or add lemon zest to the frosting.
Hope you enjoy this cake as much as we do!
You may also like:
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Blackberry Coffee Cake
Triple Berry Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (1/2 cup each)
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 g cream cheese (1 brick or about 8oz)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups icing sugar (confectioners or powdered)
- fresh berries, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the baking powder, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk and blend to form a smooth batter. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and stir in berries with a spatula.
- Transfer batter into the cake pan. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Icing
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the butter and beat to combine. Add the lemon juice and icing sugar and mix until everything is combined and smooth. If needed, add a little more lemon juice to reach desired consistency. Spread over cake using an offset spatula. Top with fresh berries if desired.