This recipe for easy meatloaf is comfort food at its best. Juicy and tender meatloaf is covered in a sweet and tangy glaze which adds extra flavour to this already delicious meal.
As far as delicious comfort dishes go, meatloaf is definitely high up on our list. This classic dinner is a family favourite with both kids and adults and for good reason.
It’s easy to prepare, can be prepared ahead of time, and (especially if you buy ground beef on sale), an economical stick to your ribs meal.
This Easy Meatloaf Recipe is a personal favourite of mine. The recipe is not only easy to make, but the results are a tender, juicy, and flavourful meatloaf. No bland flavours here.
Grated onion and fresh herbs add to the flavour in this classic meatloaf but the glaze definitely takes things to the next level! It’s wonderfully sweet and slightly acidic and absolutely a must as far as I am concerned.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients in my Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Ground beef
- Onion: shredded
- Milk: adds moisture and helps achieve a tender meatloaf.
- Eggs: helps bind the meatloaf.
- Lemon: lemon juice is used in the meatloaf to add some flavour. It also acts as a tenderizer.
- Ketchup: added to both the meatloaf and the glaze.
- Herbs: parsley and mint. These are my go-to herbs but you can certainly substitute others such as thyme or even a blend like Italian seasoning.
- Salt and pepper
- Apple cider vinegar: Used in the glaze and adds a tangy, acidic element. (You can substitute white vinegar.
- Brown sugar: Used in the glaze.
Note ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make this Easy Meatloaf recipe:
1. Make the meatloaf mixture: Place all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
2. Bake it: Add the meatloaf mixture to a parchment lined loaf pan and gently press down to ensure it is evenly spread. To cook, bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes.
3. Add the glaze: In a small bowl, combine all of the glaze ingredients. Spread the glaze over the meatloaf.
4. Continue baking until cooked through. Continue to bake it for 15 minutes or until it is cooked through. [Use a meat thermometer to check that it’s cooked as oven temperatures can vary.]
Tips for making the juiciest, tastiest meatloaf
- Grate your onion. This trick is one I use often and I learned it from my mom. Grating onion into the meatloaf not only helps it incorporate better and more evenly into the meatloaf (no large chunks is a good thing), but the grated onion also released more juices. This flavours the entire meatloaf and adds to its tenderness. I also use this trick in my Homemade Hamburgers and Keftedakia – Greek Meatballs.
- Be gentle when mixing your ingredients. If a tender meatloaf is what you want, you need to be careful not to compact your meat mixture. You don’t want to make a compact brick here! I personally use two forks to work the ingredients together until they are well incorporated. This works to blend the ingredients while also fluffing up the meat mixture.
- Use fresh ingredients. I won’t lie to you, I have definitely used thawed ground beef to make meatloaf before but if you want the best flavour, you really can’t beat fresh beef. Fresh herbs are also best if you have them.
- Use a meat thermometer. Oven temperatures vary widely so its best to check if your meatloaf is cooked through with a meat thermometer.
What to serve with meatloaf
Meatloaf is versatile and can be paired with a variety of sides. I personally love it with Creamy Whipped Potatoes (try my Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes for a cheesier version!). Baked potatoes are also a great option. I make Twice Baked Potatoes in my Air Fryer while my oven is busy with the meatloaf which is helpful.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Looking for more family-pleasing dinner ideas? You may also like:
Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped (can also substitute thyme or Italian seasoning)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (can substitute white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Next, place all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the meatloaf mixture to a loaf pan and gently press down to ensure it is evenly spread.
- To cook, bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the glaze ingredients. Spread the glaze over the meatloaf and then continue to bake it for 15 minutes or until it is cooked through.
Note: Metric ingredient measurements are provided as a courtesy using a third-party calculator and are rounded to the nearest unit. The recipes provided on this site have not been tested with metric measurements and their accuracy cannot be verified.
The nutritional information provided is based on third-party calculations and is an estimate only. Accurate nutritional facts will vary based on the particular brands used, portion sizes, measurement accuracy and more.