These baked chicken strips are quick and easy to make, making them a great weeknight meal idea! They come out juicy and full of flavour and are healthier than deep frying. Definitely better than anything you can find in the frozen section of a supermarket!
We are always looking for ways to reduce our consumption of processed foods. One thing we have cut out completely from our diets is pre-breaded, frozen meats like chicken strips or chicken fingers. While we definetely enjoy eating them, they are so easy to make at home there really isn’t a need to buy the processed variety.
The other thing I like about making them home is being able to cut down the oil! Baking the strips in the oven instead of frying makes them so much better for you!
Making the Baked Chicken Strips
When I was at the market the other day I picked up a package of chicken breast fillets. When I brought them home, I cut them in half to make them thinner strips and then placed each strip between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using a flat kitchen mallet (you can use a rolling pin instead) i flattened them out a bit. Then I marinated them in a mixture of milk and lemon juice (a homemade alternative to buttermilk that’s lower in fat).
While the chicken was marinating, I preheated the oven to 400F and lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Then I mixed flour, panko bread crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper in a ziploc bag.
One by one, I dip the strips in the bag to coat them and then arrange them on the baking sheets. I drizzle the strips with some olive oil to help give them some colour- I find if I don’t add some oil they come out pale-looking and don’t look as appealing. The strips bake in the oven for 24 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process (at the 12 minute point), I flip them so they brown nicely on both sides. That’s it!
I have never tried to freeze them as we tend to eat them within a couple days. They’re great for adding to our salads for a nice, healthy lunch to bring to work! Although I haven’t tried to do so myself, I feel as though they would freeze well. I might have to make a double batch in the future and freeze half to have on hand! Doing it all in one night isn’t too difficult though! Bon appetit!
Oven Baked Chicken Strips
- 1 lb chicken breast or chicken cutlets
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
- In a large bowl, mix milk and lemon juice. Set aside. Meanwhile, cut chicken fillets in half and place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound lightly to flatten strips a bit. Repeat for all the chicken.
- Place chicken in the bowl and mix to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, panko crumbs, salt, paprika and pepper in a large ziploc bag. Place chicken strips one at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Place breaded chicken strips on baking pan lined with parchment paper, drizzling with olive oil on both sides.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 12 minutes. Flip chicken strips and then bake for an additional 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.