This healthy Summer Vegetable Chowder is packed with veggies! The best part is, its easy to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes!
I know, I know, it’s summer and the last thing on most people’s minds is a bowl of hot soup. But it should be! Summer vegetables are in abundance and they are so perfect in this summer chowder! You really can’t beat the freshness of local, fresh picked veggies and they truly shine in this chowder!
To be honest, I have always been a huge fan of soups and it is something I have ordered when dining out in the middle of a heat wave. I don’t care what season it is, I am always down for a bowl! Always have been and always will be.
We have eaten salads and grilled veggies every day for weeks now! It was time to switch things up and put those veggies to use in a soup for a change and boy am I happy with how this turned out!
Zucchini, corn, carrots, spinach and potatoes are the base of this soup that is made without using heavy cream. It’s satisfying and creamy, yet manages to be light at the same time. I love it!
Ingredients in Summer Vegetable Chowder
- Vegetables: corn, yellow potato, carrot, spinach, zucchini, yellow onion.
- Flour: used to make a roux that will thicken the soup. Since we aren’t using heavy cream which is substantially thicker than milk, the flour is essential in creating a thicker broth.
- Vegetable broth: If you are not vegetarian, you can also use chicken broth.
- Milk: I used 2% milk but you can also use whole milk, 1% or even skim milk.
- Fresh thyme
- Seasoning: salt and pepper
Note: Ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Summer Vegetable Chowder
- Prep the veggies. Start by carefully cutting the corn off of each ear. Then chop all the vegetables into small, bite-size pieces.
- Make a roux. In a large pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute for a minute, then add the flour and mix together to create a roux.
- Add the vegetables and seasoning. Next add the broth, corn, potato, and carrot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the zucchini, spinach and milk and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. That’s it!
What to serve with Summer Vegetable Chowder
This vegetable chowder makes a great summer meal. We love serving it with a light salad and biscuits or rolls. Some of our favourites include:
- Salads: Radish Cucumber Salad, Strawberry Spinach Salad, Caprese Salad, and Traditional Greek Salad.
- Biscuits and rolls: Zucchini & Cheese Drop Biscuits, Cheddar Chive Biscuits, Herb Biscuits, Keto Cheddar Biscuits. Easy Dinner Rolls, or Homemade Crescent Rolls.
Storing leftovers and reheating
Once cooled, transfer the leftover chowder to an airtight container and then store in the fridge. It will keep for a few days stored this way.
To reheat, place the chowder back in a pop and heat through over medium heat.
Hope you enjoy this chowder!
You may also like:
Summer Vegetable Chowder
- 4 ears corn
- 1 yellow potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Carefully cut corn off of each ear. Chop all the vegetables into small, bite-size pieces.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and saute for a minute. Add flour and mix together.
- Add broth, corn, potato, and carrot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini, spinach and milk and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.