Sweet potatoes, chili and lime make a deliciously perfect flavour combo. This ultra creamy sweet potato soup is so easy to make and so satisfying, its a full dinner in a bowl. Seriously, give this one a try. It won’t disappoint!
This sweet potato soup is seriously one of my favourite soups to make! I am a soup lover who loves pretty much every soup there is, but believe me when I tell you that this one is up there as one of the greatest of all time!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes, Chili and Lime Soup
I love sweet potatoes in any form. Roast them, mash them, bake them, whatever! I am always excited to see them on the table! Sweet potatoes have a sweet flavour and creamy texture. These energy-storing tubers are a nutritional power house! They are a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals! It is not surprising that they are frequently touted as being a healthier choice where potatoes are concerned (not that potatoes are bad). They have so much to offer!
They also work really well with spices. Because they are naturally sweet, my favourite way to flavour them is with a bit of spice. In this case, I chose chili powder which tastes SO GOOD together! BFFs! Seriously! Add some freshness and added nutrients from lime and you have a flavour trio that is amazing! You are not only treating your tastebuds to a treat, but your body will thank you too!
My recipe for Sweet Potato Chili Lime Soup is easy to make, gluten free, and can be made vegan too. I love a soup that I can serve to almost anyone, no matter their dietary restrictions! If you are on a low-FODMAP diet, this recipe works for you too! The only caveat being that you need to ensure you are using a chili powder that does not have onion powder or garlic powder mixed in.
Although I use sour cream or Greek yogurt (depending on what I have on hand) when I make the soup, this can easily be left out altogether or replaced with a vegan-friendly option to ensure a vegan and low-FODMAP soup.
I have a thing for pureed, creamy soups! Check out some of my other soups which are vegan-friendly as well:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy of Celery Soup
Roasted Parsnip and Carrot Soup
Creamy Coconut Carrot Soup
Creamy Asparagus Soup
Sweet Potato, Chili & Lime Soup
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt to taste
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (omit or replace with coconut yogurt for vegan option)
- In a large pot, add oil, sweet potatoes and chili powder. Saute for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Add stock and thyme and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and allow to cook until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and remove rosemary sprig. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix lime juice and zest with sour cream (or yogurt). Set aside.
- When soup has cooled, add to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Return to pot and warm through. If soup is thick, add more stock or water to thin it out to the desired consistency. Add salt to taste. Add soup to bowls and top with a dollop of lime sour cream (or yogurt).